454 ss mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are 454ss driver side and passenger mirrors different sizes? I have a metal passenger side one i found in a junkyard and bought the driver side on rockauto.
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The factory ones are the same from side to side.
Is that one from RockAuto plastic?
The factory ones were metal. Aftermarket plastic.
That may be where the dif comes in.

lokitruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockauto one is plastic. Im just worried about them not looking the same on the truck

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone other than someone that is well versed in these trucks would catch the diff, & even then, that's probably minimal & would be pretty hard to notice, even to the trained/knowledgeable eye.
If you're really concerned, then maybe order up the other side from R/A.
You could recoup that cost by selling the non-matching one.
There is a market for them, I guess.
I'm not a fan. Had a set on my '98 for less than a week. Have to have you're head on a swivel in rush-hour traffic because, well, let's just say that I didn't find them to be all that 'efficient'.
Traded mine straight up for a set of the Street Scene mirrors. One of the best looking mirrors ever designed for these trucks, IMO.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
TYC made plastic and metal aftermarket copies, by the way. Not sure if they're still available. The TYC metal ones weren't bad. I hated the plastic ones, quality-wise. I've had the originals as well and the TYC metal ones were decent copies.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
TYC made plastic and metal aftermarket copies, by the way. Not sure if they're still available. The TYC metal ones weren't bad. I hated the plastic ones, quality-wise. I've had the originals as well and the TYC metal ones were decent copies.

Richard

Huh. Never knew that TYC made metal ones.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Huh. Never knew that TYC made metal ones.
Yes sir! I felt like a tool for buying the plastic ones once I found out. They were really poor at retaining the front of the weatherstrip trim that goes along the lower outside window edge, since the front is pretty much held in by the mirror. Those trim pieces suck anyway, once they got away from the early "never-gives-up" metal clip design.

The metal TYC copies are nearly indistinguishable from OEM other than the corners are slightly more hard angles, if that makes sense. I would say very difficult to tell them apart, even for a picky person like myself.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To revive this dead old thread, the metal TYC copies no longer exist. Part #'s 2170211 and 2170212 are done and probably have been for some time. At this point you're stuck with plastic copies. Even Dorman has 'em.

Richard