4 hi mod problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlrudnik

Reaction score
99 escalade, did the heavy duty harness today along with the 4 hi mod. Working in the garage everything worked great. Tonight I went for a ride and now when I turn the high beams on they all 4 come on, but when i turn the high beams off they all 4 still stay on..

Anyone else have this happen or any ideas? I had zero problems switching back and forth previously.

Last edited:

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the 4 HI integrated into the relay harness? You might have current back feeding and keeping everything on if you didn't install a diode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rlrudnik

Reaction score
I used both the harness and the 4 hi kit from lmc truck. Tapped into the factory wiring where it plugs into the new harness. I did tap the power and group for the 4 hi into the harness power and now that I think about it I grounded both the high and low beam lights to the same place and tapped into one of the wires for the ground for the 4 hi relay . Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think it would make a difference, but wiring is not my strong point. I'd double check your connection points, make sure nothing is loose, then remove either the 4HI or relay harness from the equation to start eliminating what it could be.

rlrudnik

Reaction score
I removed the 4 hi and separated the grounds and still have the same problem. So it is happening in the harness somehow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

rlrudnik

Reaction score
Right now when I first turn the headlights on I have only low beam.. I turn the highs on and have only highs, but then I turn the highs off and all 4 are on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you unplug the relay harness do the light operate correctly?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you disable your DRLs. The DRLs may have enough voltage to activate the relay. I had to remove the fuse for my DRLs to stop this on my truck.

rlrudnik

Reaction score
I did not disable my drls, maybe I should have. Right now I do not have the 4 hi relay installed, tried every possible configuration of switching wires around with the harness and had the same result. Then just for whatever reason I flipped my fog light switch off and they magically worked like they should. Played with it more and pretty much found that if my fog lights are on and my low beams are on, if I go to highs and back then all 6 lights are on. Flip the fog lights switch off and it goes back to just low beam.. Makes zero sense to me why the fog light switch is affecting the high beams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is happening, is that you are back feeding the trigger wire for the relay. For what you are saying, it is coming from the fog lights. You can trace this with an OHM meter, or even a test light. Without knowing how you wired up your relay, or relays, there is no way for me to know where the issue is. When I did my 4 high mod, I did not buy a kit. I simply bought a relay, and after doing some research, I wired my relay, my self. After I saw how much brighter the low beams are when the relay is triggered, I installed a second relay to switch on the low beams. I cut the supply to the low beams, and used this as my trigger wire, for the new low beam relay. My low beams are much, much brighter, because they are supplied directly off of the battery with a larger wire. I used a #10 GA wire as my supply from the battery ( with a fuse). I did my mod about 2 or 3 years ago. When I first did my mod, the DRL was back feeding the relay, and my lights would not go off. I had to remove my fuse for the DRLs.