4 & 5 inch drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ok, I am a newbe! For 20+ years I have had a 2 w/Belltech spindles & 4" rear with a leaf spring. I went with a 5 in drop for 2 reasons. I already have a 4" drop leaf spring and I didn't want to cut the frame. So I added a 1" shackle and now I don't have any shock travel. Should I add shock extenders? Plus, I want to move up to 18" American Vintage torque thrusts. Will the 4.5" backspace work? Thanks in advance!

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about backspace specs. Others will be able to chime in. But at five inches, I'd recommend that you notch it. That low and you will be bottoming out regularly. You can buy a quality notch and if you do it properly, it will strengthen the frame. Especially if you box it in. Yes on the shock extenders for sure. I'd also install the upper shock relocators too. Not necessary, but it gives an even better shock angle in conjunction with the bottom ones. Throw you some drop shocks on and you'll be set. What brand of lowering leafs did you use?

Reaction score
I used the Hotchkis 4" leaf spring. The reason that I did not go the 6" is because I didn't want to buy a new set of rear factory springs. Thanks in advance if you have a link to the upper shock relocators.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the Hotchkis 4" leaf spring. The reason that I did not go the 6" is because I didn't want to buy a new set of rear factory springs. Thanks in advance if you have a link to the upper shock relocators.
Holy hell. Lol. I have tried like crazy to source a pair of those for two years. Finally found a pair. How do you like the hotchkis leaf springs?