4.3L vs 5.7L Torque Converter Stalls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I've only seen one size factory auxiliary
cooler for the 400's. Get that one, and all new hard lines.

Edit: I just checked Rockauto. They list the same part number for the 1500 as the 3500, both gas engines:

GM GENUINE 89022535
Interesting, so the gas engines and the 6.5 must have different sized coolers, because I saw a 6.5 at the junk yard that had a factory cooler about 1.5x the size of the gas engine ones.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, so the gas engines and the 6.5 must have different sized coolers, because I saw a 6.5 at the junk yard that had a factory cooler about 1.5x the size of the gas engine ones.

See my post about the 5.7 Burb and larger trans cooler. The diesels are a rarity and their own thing altogether.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This one is larger and 2x as thick as the OEM. Much more surface area on the fins. Pop rivited into the OEM holes on top, drilled 2 holes at the bottom into the OEM bracket for the smaller cooler and put 2 more rivits in.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So would a 99 burb have the newer style 60?
Maybe. A GMT 400 suburban, right?

I recall I read somewhere else the change was made in the middle of the year. I can't remember if 98 or 99. So if the vehicle was made late in that year, it's possible.

But I really don't know. Stick an inspection mirror behind the bell housing and see if you can spot the empty 12 o'clock hole.

This is what my 4L60e looked like after I dropped it from my truck. Note the top hellhousing bolt hole was empty:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. A GMT 400 suburban, right?

I recall I read somewhere else the change was made in the middle of the year. I can't remember if 98 or 99. So if the vehicle was made late in that year, it's possible.

But I really don't know. Stick an inspection mirror behind the bell housing and see if you can spot the empty 12 o'clock hole.

This is what my 4L60e looked like after I dropped it from my truck. Note the top hellhousing bolt hole was empty:

yeah, a GMT400 Burb. If the empty hole is present the trans is upgraded? Or are we still guessing here?

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, a GMT400 Burb. If the empty hole is present the trans is upgraded? Or are we still guessing here?
The Trans will not be "upgraded" in any form over a 1998 4l60E that would be missing the upper hole. it will still have the 298mm input shaft. From my understanding the 5.3/4.8 trucks got an additional clutch in the 3/4 clutch pack, while all of the "gen 2" engines (4.3, 5.0, 5.7) never did.

To answer OP's question, It will work fine. It will likely be more enjoyable to drive than a stock V8 converter. a bigger trans cooler is a good idea, with any 4l60e. I put an 8TAD 4l60E (98 4.3 Blazer 4x4) into a 99 5.3 NBS silverado, that was very fun to drive with the higher stall converter. One thing you may run into; the cheese plate is often different on V6 transmissions. I have heard that they are usually better, as the V6 cheese plate had larger holes which allowed the transmission to shift slightly firmer, which was not as noticeable with the higher stall torque converter. but I have never seen this confirmed. the 4.3 trans I put behind a 5.3 shifted great and was doing so years down the road when I saw the truck again. So, if you do put a stock 5.7 converter in it, it may shift firmer than a stock trans.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Trans will not be "upgraded" in any form over a 1998 4l60E that would be missing the upper hole. it will still have the 298mm input shaft. From my understanding the 5.3/4.8 trucks got an additional clutch in the 3/4 clutch pack, while all of the "gen 2" engines (4.3, 5.0, 5.7) never did.

To answer OP's question, It will work fine. It will likely be more enjoyable to drive than a stock V8 converter. a bigger trans cooler is a good idea, with any 4l60e. I put an 8TAD 4l60E (98 4.3 Blazer 4x4) into a 99 5.3 NBS silverado, that was very fun to drive with the higher stall converter. One thing you may run into; the cheese plate is often different on V6 transmissions. I have heard that they are usually better, as the V6 cheese plate had larger holes which allowed the transmission to shift slightly firmer, which was not as noticeable with the higher stall torque converter. but I have never seen this confirmed. the 4.3 trans I put behind a 5.3 shifted great and was doing so years down the road when I saw the truck again. So, if you do put a stock 5.7 converter in it, it may shift firmer than a stock trans.
I found just the opposite, much more enjoyable to drive with the higher stall. Even in something as heavy as a Suburban or Express van the 4.3 converter gave it alot better get up and go.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 300 mm shaft and extra clutch being the upgrades...
I'm asking as I have a 99 trans and an 07 classic truck which needs one.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Keeping this apples to apples - the 5.3 likes to rev more, so the v6 converter is certainly a good idea for that combo.

The 5.7 and 5.3 have different characteristics.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, the top bellhousing bolt hole (LS style bellhousing) is the upgraded version. Now remember, we are still talking the 4L60e, so "upgrade" here is a relative term...but I think at least a lot of the issues they had in the earlier units got ironed out by then.

Here's input shaft on from that same unit I posted earlier:

I think the only 4L60e that got the "upgrade" prior to 99 was the ones mated to LS1 in the Corvette/F-body cars, but we are talking trucks here. And the Corvette transmission bellhousing, tailshaft and oil pan is completely different anyway.

I've posted some videos on the differences between the 4L60e years on other posts here. That's as much as I know about these units.:rolleyes:

Last edited: