4.3 vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If your looking for a replacement set, best place would be the wreckers.
If your looking for performance, here's a blurb that I got from a 'Hot-Rod Magazine' article.

Many V6-90s are called Vortec engines by GM, but not all have the good Vortec cylinder heads. The '96-and-up V6-90 head should have the true Vortec-style kidney-bean chamber and vertical intake-manifold bolt pattern. It is essentially the 350 V-8 Vortec head minus one set of ports. According to the Cylinder Head Exchange, look for casting Nos. 772, 140, or 113. There's about a 50/50 chance the 113 heads will be machined for fully adjustable rocker arms; the other casting numbers as well as the remaining 113s come with nonadjustable positive-stop rocker-arm studs. Crane Cams offers an adjustable conversion stud (PN 99148-2, six required), but for serious work, all these should be drilled and tapped for V-8-type screw-in rocker studs and roller rockers.
Brodix sells conventional, 23-degree valve-angle, aluminum V6-90 heads. PN V6-8 is for low-rpm, street-style engines. PN V6-10 is for large-cubic-inch, high-rpm engines. The heads use 2.08/1.60 valves, have 67cc chambers, and accept standard Chevy stud-mounted adjustable rocker arms.

Moving up the food chain, GMPP has offered various incarnations of Bow Tie aluminum heads for these engines, including high-port heads with conventional 23-degree valve angles, Rat motor-like splay-valve heads, and NASCAR-style 18-degree rollover heads. They really work best on 4.125-inch or larger cylinder bores (don't bore a production block more than 0.030-over, to 4.030). At present, only the 18-degree heads are still available new. PN 10143359 is the older part; PN 12480009 features a new design of intake port for the Daytona Dash Racing series. These are serious heads that require Jesel shaft-mount valvetrains (or equivalent) and special pistons that match their competition-style, 43cc combustion chambers.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_0705_pitstop_chevrolet_v6_performance/#ixzz2FeM5TmOv

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So did I, until I started messing with these motors! I thought a Vortec 4.3 was a Vortec 4.3.
Some guys put a lot of time, effort, & $$$ into these engines to make big power. I don't know why. To me, it's like putting $20,000.00 into a flathead to make (ready?) 300-350hp! Why? A kick-a$$ SBC could be built that made the same power, or more, for a 1/4 of that!