4.3 ---> 5.7 Swap 1994 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CNewport

Reaction score
I inherited this truck from my grandfather and after I put about 15,000 miles on it, the engine developed a rod knock on cylinder 6. It isn't my daily driver anymore because of this, now I have an '06 Tacoma for that job. But anyhow...I really want to get the truck back out on the road if for no other reason than nostalgia. Since I'm not driving it every day I don't desire to buy a crate motor or anything of the sort, I will most likely obtain the engine from craigslist or a junkyard.
I'm aware of a few compatibility issues by adding 2 cylinders. From what I have gathered from repair manuals and the internet I know I will need to swap the following parts to fit the 350; radiator, injectors, exhaust manifold, and fan shroud. My question for anyone reading is: What computer part do I have to change, and will my fuel pump push enough PSI to crank a 5.7?

I appreciate any advice I receive and I will keep you posted on my progress.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will most likely obtain the engine from craigslist or a junkyard.
I'm aware of a few compatibility issues by adding 2 cylinders. From what I have gathered from repair manuals and the internet I know I will need to swap the following parts to fit the 350; radiator, injectors, exhaust manifold, and fan shroud. My question for anyone reading is: What computer part do I have to change,
"I" would be looking for a '94 truck with a V-8 in the Treasure Yard. Ideally, one with the same axle gear ratio and transmission as what you have. Take everything--entire engine complete from air cleaner to pan, fan to flywheel. All the sensors, everything. Fan shroud. Maybe the radiator if it seems to be in decent condition.

Take the entire computer and harness.

Keep in mind that a V-6 transmission is likely to be less-robust compared to a V-8 trans. Automatics will likely have fewer clutches in the drums--lower torque capacity. I wonder if the small-block trucks got stiffer torsion bars than the V-6 trucks?

and will my fuel pump push enough PSI to crank a 5.7?
If it's in good condition. How old is it? How many miles? When was the fuel filter changed?

CNewport

Reaction score
"I" would be looking for a '94 truck with a V-8 in the Treasure Yard. Ideally, one with the same axle gear ratio and transmission as what you have. Take everything--entire engine complete from air cleaner to pan, fan to flywheel. All the sensors, everything. Fan shroud. Maybe the radiator if it seems to be in decent condition.

Take the entire computer and harness.

Keep in mind that a V-6 transmission is likely to be less-robust compared to a V-8 trans. Automatics will likely have fewer clutches in the drums--lower torque capacity. I wonder if the small-block trucks got stiffer torsion bars than the V-6 trucks?

If it's in good condition. How old is it? How many miles? When was the fuel filter changed?
To my knowledge the V6 is identical to the V8 truck in all other areas. They all share the 4L60E transmission with the same diameter input shaft. The truck has 176,000 miles on it, and the fuel pump is brand new as of last fall.

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the trans not holding up to a 350. I swapped an NV3500 that backed a 4.3 and been beating on it pretty good with a mildly built sbc. Just have a good look at the clutch, pressure plate, FW and throwout bearing while doing the swap.