3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck had a led 3rd brake light on it when I bought it, I've read that they leak with out the original on it. My question is I'm looking to go back to stock and was curious if the rc and extended cab light lenses where they same as with the gasket and the base the holds the lights. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, but did have to replace the one on my suburban. They aren't cheap either.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Short answer, no.

Long answer... There were two different factory 3rd brake light assemblies for GMT400 pickups. One for standard and crew cabs, one for extended cabs. They don't interchange. Might bolt up, but the curve of the roof is slightly different and the gasket won't seal properly. Both are discontinued though. If you want a factory 3rd brake light for a pickup you're going to have to find one used.

The SUVs used a completely different 3rd brake light assembly from the trucks.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I figured. Thanks I just wanted to confirm. If any body has a picture of a rc 3rd brake light original would appreciate it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd think it'd be easier to seal the one you have wouldn't it? Silicone ought to do the trick and be invisible.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd think it'd be easier to seal the one you have wouldn't it? Silicone ought to do the trick and be invisible.

This is what I did with my Anzo LED 3rd brake light assembly. My XM antenna runs to the roof through that opening, so the gasket would leak just a tiny bit in car washes. I took it off and ran a small bead of silicone across the top edge then reinstalled, it's been fine for years.

I had to replace my original because the lens cracked around the screws unfortunately. :(

Pretty sure it's still in the parts pile somewhere though...

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
A few years back I replaced the base for my 99 crew cab third brake light. It was new old stock off of ebay, still in the package.

You must be registered for see images attach

Even with a new one I wouldn't trust it to not leak.

So just like with the old, I use a strip of wide vinyl (electric/black) tape all the way across the top, covering the gasket. The tape adheres well to the the cab / paint and the top part of the lens.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season coming.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine failed when I had hair, are they required for a safety inspection in certain States?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score