3rd brake light for SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much did that one cost,if you don't mind me asking? And does it seem like a good brand? Thanks

I had these still open in my web browser from yesterday. The OEM GM part number is 15030176 and they're still available new for around $100.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15030176-Genuine-Parts-Mount/dp/B01K8GXKRU

There's also a Dorman part number, 923-201. It's about half the price of the OEM but Dorman quality control on some parts is questionable.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-201-Brake-Light/dp/B000TYTSUK

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had these still open in my web browser from yesterday. The OEM GM part number is 15030176 and they're still available new for around $100.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15030176-Genuine-Parts-Mount/dp/B01K8GXKRU

There's also a Dorman part number, 923-201. It's about half the price of the OEM but Dorman quality control on some parts is questionable.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-923-201-Brake-Light/dp/B000TYTSUK
Thanks, good to know. That jives with the other stuff I've seen and heard. Gotta put it in the budget LOL. Cause I will eventually have to replace it.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much did that one cost,if you don't mind me asking? And does it seem like a good brand? Thanks

It was a cheap unbranded one. Since it's just going on my topper and not as an OEM application I'm good with that. There was one even a little cheaper but it had an all red housing where this one looks more like the one I'm replacing.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It was a cheap unbranded one. Since it's just going on my topper and not as an OEM application I'm good with that. There was one even a little cheaper but it had an all red housing where this one looks more like the one I'm replacing.

Well with a year warranty for under $30 doesn't seem too bad. Thanks again

imkwuzn

Reaction score
The OEM 3rd brake light on my 97 Tahoe had a black plastic gasket. The replacements no longer come with one(even from the dealer). I first purchased the Dorman which had some type of sticky caulking on the bottom, it leaked when it rained. I then purchased an OEM light and it too came with a bead of caulk on the bottom but was much thicker than the Dorman. It also leaked until I added additional caulking and reinstalled it. My advice is to hang on to the original light and reuse it if possible. If not, you should be able to reuse the factory plastic gasket. Mine was tossed by accident when I stripped the car for paint.

I just realized after reading the entire thread that you’re using this on a topper, not a truck roof. In that case, it’s a bit less critical since any water that may drip inside really wouldn’t hurt anything unlike a fully carpeted Tahoe or Suburban.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OEM 3rd brake light on my 97 Tahoe had a black plastic gasket. The replacements no longer come with one(even from the dealer). I first purchased the Dorman which had some type of sticky caulking on the bottom, it leaked when it rained. I then purchased an OEM light and it too came with a bead of caulk on the bottom but was much thicker than the Dorman. It also leaked until I added additional caulking and reinstalled it. My advice is to hang on to the original light and reuse it if possible. If not, you should be able to reuse the factory plastic gasket. Mine was tossed by accident when I stripped the car for paint.

I just realized after reading the entire thread that you’re using this on a topper, not a truck roof. In that case, it’s a bit less critical since any water that may drip inside really wouldn’t hurt anything unlike a fully carpeted Tahoe or Suburban.

Yeah although I want it to be fairly waterproof it doesn't have to be perfect.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My light showed up today but it's too dark and cold to mess with it tonight. I went to the local hardware store and got some stainless socket head screws and hardware to mount it. It doesn't have a factory plug on the end of the wires but for my application of mounting it on my Leer topper that's fine for me.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I might be forced to do something like this eventually... My topper's brake light is shattering slowly but surely, and it's only a matter of time before the screw holds break off it.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be forced to do something like this eventually... My topper's brake light is shattering slowly but surely, and it's only a matter of time before the screw holds break off it.

Is yours mounted on top like mine or built in just above the topper door? I know ut took me awhile to figure out a Suburban one might work lol!