305 running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert lowman

Reaction score
So now that I got my 95 5.0 drivable, now it litterly smells like ita dumping fuel into the engine. When ita running you can smell fuel heavy from the engine bay grayish blue smoke from tail pipe and when its in gear its missing bad like it trys to stall it dosnt actually stall though when I press the had it sounds good besides the smoke plum. I havw replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Next step would be to check the fuel pressure and check how the injectors are spraying.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out the coolant temperature sensor at the thermostat housing. If it has failed it will think that it is -40 outside and it will be completely rich.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're trying to get the battery/charging/starting system tested with the parts OFF the vehicle, you're missing the wire harness that connects them together.

Testing ON the vehicle is very enlightening.

Yes, a failed CTS or CTS wire harness will drive an OBD-1 computer crazy.

robert lowman

Reaction score
Well I used my power probe and with the engine running I have 13.7 at battery positive terminal and the battery terminal on alternator. Turned off after 2 hours it drops to 12.3 on both terminals. I noticed that my hot terminal was damaged is that a reason it could be draining the battery?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Is there any AC voltage at the alternator output terminal when the engine is running? More than a very minimal amount of AC would indicate a failed diode, which would allow current to back-feed and discharge the battery.

2. The diodes better NOT be failed, because that would mean four guys at four parts stores screwed-up testing your alternator.

3. How long does the battery stay charged if you fully charge it then disconnect the battery cables?

robert lowman

Reaction score
Do I need to take the cable off the alternator to check? I checked with cable on the alternator and had 12 volts