305 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikes98

Reaction score
I also have a little piston slap in the cold on my 350. 225K on the motor. Hopefully it isn’t too bad because I’m not putting a motor in it yet.

Yes I believe the truck to be an oddity with the extended cab, 5 speed, and stepside bed.
If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with the cast pistons ...and it is quite common in GM LS engines ...which are what we have in our trucks.

It sounds bad, especially in the colder weather, but mine's been doing it since I got it in 2001 and hasn't gotten any worse over the years.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM has had piston-slap problems since at least the 1990s.

GM says it doesn't hurt anything, in order to avoid having to fix that mistake. In fact, when it gets bad enough, it triggers the knock sensor which reduces timing. That hurts power and fuel economy. But since the EPA is in the pockets of whoever pays the right bribes, nothing was ever done to make GM live up to their claimed fuel economy and emissions claims.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow!. You didn't mention the stepside. I would definitely keep the truck stock. There is a website called "Comp nine"; it is a very sophisticated VIN decoder. When it first came out (many years ago) it was free; now you have to pay for the service. But it will tell you *everything* about your vehicle (in my case my '98 GMC). The other thing it will do is show you how rare your vehicle is with respect to the options on it based on the model year. I never expected my humble 5.0L SL shortbed to be any kind of rare but ...the Comp nine search came up with *4* '98 C1500's that were ordered with the same options on my truck ...that's 0.004% of the total production run (100,504) of the same year ('98) and model . It would be interesting to find out how many trucks like yours were built in '95 ...I'm thinking yours is gonna be pretty rare.
That’s pretty cool! Thanks. It’ll be interesting to see how many were made exactly.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked her up today! Really dirty inside but it’ll be easy to clean up. I’ll post a few more in a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember reading that you could put a Buick GN engine in a Rodeo. You could probably run the speed limit up the hill towing then....:grd:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some interior shots

Attachments

• E5B70DD5-6446-49C4-A7C6-C7B0679E82D2.jpeg
    E5B70DD5-6446-49C4-A7C6-C7B0679E82D2.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 5