3" body lift - running boards vs. frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With as much tire as you have sticking out, if you worried about rock damage put them back. Nothing you do short of driving 10 mph or less that 4 miles will save it....

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he has hardly anything sticking out compared to others.

try some rock gaurd stuff, they have spray on and then some clear portective tape stuff, it's about the only way I see you saving it, short of bedliner or plastidip crap.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to me in the second shot like he had at least 1-1.5 tread blocks out.

:shrug:

That's a lot to me, an enough to destroy his rockers on 4 miles of gravel, bedliner would protect it but also destroys the paint under it if prepped correctly. I didn't mention that because it sounded like it wasn't an option....

I did see a green Toyota today with tan bedliner on the rockers. It actually looked pretty good imo

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unless he's running spacers IMO he shouldn't have anything stciking out. I run those type wheels and 285's and mines all tucked compared to other wheels. I know anything sticking out or anything close is gonna throw things up and damage it.

I would agree completely on the bedliner and plasti-dip, IMO the only way it looks good it matched to truck color to where it's barely noticeable.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya hard to tell from pictures. OP is there any of your tire sticking out?

I usually agree on the bedliner, but that 'yota today was :boobs: it had been done right an changed my opinion a little. Stuff was thick too, somehow they got it almost as thick as you would a bed floor

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the local place here can do bedliner thick to thin, and rough to glassy smooth. i think the smooth would be great and they can make it alot of colors or custom match it in some cases.

I would agree though very hard to see. I would do some mud flaps maybe, or at least that rock gaurd stuff I mentioned, spray on or tape on.

I never cared for the papaw running boards you had, but the tube steps I love and have.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Yeah, they are just stock wheels with 285's on them- they only stick out a 'teeny' bit at the bottom of the rocker panel. It was just a dramatic camera shot :lol: I wish that they looked like that in real life...I'm looking at the picture and then at my truck and wondering how my tires look like they are two inches wider than my bumper in the photo. They aren't. They are pretty much flush with the truck except for the very bottom of the rocker panel.

And agreed ^ I do not care for the pawpaw runners at all.

I'll have to check at my local paint shop to see if they can do a paint-match bedliner deal. I wouldn't mind that as long as it was smooth and unnoticeable.

And how about that Rock Gaurd stuff- have you heard good things about them? I'm willing to spend a little $$$ to keep my new two inches of lift! :lol:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

My tires....yep, my rockers will die if I don't do something to save them... :sparta:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mud flaps like I have will probably work for ya. They really looked out further than that

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
My brother just had his 98 completely repainted. From the molding down it was sprayed with 3M Rock Guard. It hasn't had a chip in it for about 4 months now since it was painted.