3" body lift - running boards vs. frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Hey, it's time for a classic question:

Here's a lousy phone picture of my truck a few days ago (I have since stuck in gap gaurds)

It has a 3" BL and I was thinking about pulling off the running boards, but was not certain if that was a good idea, since the frame will show up so much. I intend to AT LEAST paint the frame, probably line it, and add some mud flaps to the front. (I might stick on some tube steps later or something)

I was not sure about what to do, so I am consulting the masterful wisdom of the internet kings. What would look worse/better in your opinions? The running boards or a low-slung painted frame? (no funny talk about pulling off the BL and sticking on a suspension lift okay? :))

You must be registered for see images attach

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
they look good on there and they look good with them off i dont have any on my 98 thats body lifted and you can notice the frame i would say ditch them but i never really cared for running boards anyways

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would keep them until you switch to some tube steps or nfabs....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion take those off and get yourself some nerf bars (tube steps like mine) or N-fabs

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
N-Fabs all day. They mount to the body so they hide the gap and frame more. Plus if you put tube/nerf bars on, they mount to the cab mounts of the frame, so they would be 3 inches lower than the body and look goofy like that IMO.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just move the holes up on the brackets an cut the bottom off to fix the bars...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
In my opinion take those off and get yourself some nerf bars (tube steps like mine) or N-fabs

I see that you've got some mud flaps on the front... when you're driving gravel roads do you get a lot of rocks hitting your truck body vs the alum. running boards? I drive about four miles of gravel a day and I'm not desperate to destroy my rockers.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that you've got some mud flaps on the front... when you're driving gravel roads do you get a lot of rocks hitting your truck body vs the alum. running boards? I drive about four miles of gravel a day and I'm not desperate to destroy my rockers.

Not as much as I used to without them but to eliminate more of the rocks I would have to get/make longer ones.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Nfab's look best on BL truck in my opinion. Quick question though, what gap guards did you get?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Nfab's look best on BL truck in my opinion. Quick question though, what gap guards did you get?

The expensive ones :lol:

Okay, I pulled off the running boards and here's a side by side comparison:

I forgot to take the side shot, but you guys already know how that looks. I'm going to leave it like this for at least today...I love the way that it looks, but I am sort of at a dilemma with my paint. My paint is almost perfect and I don't want to destroy it just yet. Everyday that I go to work I cover about four miles of gravel- is there any way possible that I can leave the boards off and still keep my paint?

My dad is nearly horrified at what I did today. :uhoh2: (the story is that he had a truck once - his baby - that he pulled the runners off of, he stuck on some mud flaps and he still destroyed his truck. He advocates me to stick them back on ASAP)

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Here's the sideshots- Please note the gap gaurds!!!

Last edited: