2000 C3500 SWD Crew Cab Restoration/Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
I'm glad it's working for you, and hope that continues to be the state of affairs.
I have had 2 personal experiences with non-Delco pumps failing very soon after installation, never with the 3 Delco pumps I've used. Many (10+) second hand accounts of similar experiences among friends.
Not scientific either, but enough that I won't trust anything else. Fuel pumps always (yes, frikkin ALWAYS) fail right after you have filled the tank, and got some place to be...
Thanks.

You're correct on the failing after fill ups. Not on my truck, but I have replaced many on friends, relatives, and customers back in the day. The cold gasoline up out of the inground storage tanks must shock the crap out of a "near death" pump into submission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just looked on Rockauto. Good price too. Funny, they have some for #7200 rating? Not sure what that's about.
I'm not sure. The last time I did mine, I was in a bind, and needed it done ASAP, so I just went and got one from Orlieys. It's never a good feeling when the ball joint fails. Luckily, it didn't tare up anything, and the wrecker truck driver who I use knows me, and was careful with my truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Gm redesigned the fuel pump connector that's why you got a pigtail. My first replacement had the old connector, but the second (years later) had the new one and interestingly enough I had hard starting issues with the first replacement pump that I suspect was due to low pressure. When it got replaced my hard starting went away.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Do the new control arms come with new ball joints? I am looking at doing this soon myself.
Yes, they do. I purchased all 4 Moog from Rock Auto. Came loaded with bushings, ball joint, castle nut, cotter pin and grease zirk. Actually, just finished up and hour ago, and heading to the alignment shop to leave it to be aligned tomorrow. Very satisfied with price, delivery, and fit. I would recommend new bolt, nut, and eccentric washer kits for both upper control arms. made things go a lot smoother. I cleaned up the area where they bolt in with a wire brush and then applied anti-seize compound the contact surfaces to make aligning easier not and years into the future.

Also purchase KYB gas shocks, A/C Delco urethane sway bar link kits and frame bushings.

Greased the front end, new pads, turned rotors, packed bearings, rebuilt calipers, flushed front brake lines. I would have put new front brake hoses on, but they looked like brand new.

If anything in the steering linkage would have been loose, I probably would have replaced all of that, but everything has been liberally greased over the years and is tight.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Gm redesigned the fuel pump connector that's why you got a pigtail. My first replacement had the old connector, but the second (years later) had the new one and interestingly enough I had hard starting issues with the first replacement pump that I suspect was due to low pressure. When it got replaced my hard starting went away.
I've been very fortunate so far. It has more pressure, and noticeably idles smoother. Go figure. Time will only tell if I made a good choice.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
I'm not sure. The last time I did mine, I was in a bind, and needed it done ASAP, so I just went and got one from Orlieys. It's never a good feeling when the ball joint fails. Luckily, it didn't tare up anything, and the wrecker truck driver who I use knows me, and was careful with my truck.
Nice looking truck. Sorry to see it on the ground like that. Glad it's fixed and rolling again.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
I forgot to mention a couple of things yesterday on the upper arms....
While apart make sure to break off the knock-outs/tabs if you will, where the upper control arm bolts go through the frame brackets. They prevent any adjustment on the alignment rack with the eccentrics and bolts. This allows a slotted opening for the bolt to be able to slip and side to side when being rotated by the eccentrics, and then tightened up. I forget who make a tool for that similar to an electrician's hand knock out tool.

The other thing I did was to purchase the inner fender well rubber splash guards and 10 buttons to install after the wheel alignment to allow the tech easy access to make adjustments.

That's all for now, LOL.
Heading out to pick up my pickup.