2000 C3500 SWD Crew Cab Restoration/Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
After 22 yrs, 140k+ miles it's time to go through the old reliable.
Changing out the flakey sending unit and the 2nd pump, I decided to replace the fuel tank and related. The old tank only had mostly surface rust but at the pump access it was getting a little tougher.

Tore the dash apart to replace even more flakey A/C actuators and the dash controller. Added LED's to the instrument panel.

Ordering new seat covers for both front ones.

Heading to the front and rear brakes next for total rebuilds. Clean and polish the wheels and install new center caps.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_114547322.jpg
    IMG_20220127_114547322.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220127_110750260.jpg
    IMG_20220127_110750260.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 24

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Wake up call today.

Generally used to buying plug and play parts, but it's a different day and age.
Shame on me.

I scoffed at the pigtail and sta-con butt connectors with the pump/sending unit. I should have know better.

Didn't count on having to modify the harness. Oh well, I hope their schematic is correct. Soldered the wires and heat shrink. I won't trust sta-cons I have to bury above the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_125752691.jpg
    IMG_20220127_125752691.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 10

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Shame on me for going cheap 10+ years ago i bought a A/C Delco assy, and it was plug and play.
Went O'Riley's this time and bought a cheaper Precision brand. Their wiring diagram was vague at best for my stepchild truck. Put fuel in and no pump and no fuel gauge. lowered the tank to sneak the plug and harness down. Pulled out a service manual and wiring diagram. Per their diagram and the service manual i switched 3 of the 4 wires and bingo. Saved the plug for the next time to put back original if that day ever comes.

Nobody to blame but me for going the cheaper route.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shame on me for going cheap 10+ years ago i bought a A/C Delco assy, and it was plug and play.
Went O'Riley's this time and bought a cheaper Precision brand. Their wiring diagram was vague at best for my stepchild truck. Put fuel in and no pump and no fuel gauge. lowered the tank to sneak the plug and harness down. Pulled out a service manual and wiring diagram. Per their diagram and the service manual i switched 3 of the 4 wires and bingo. Saved the plug for the next time to put back original if that day ever comes.

Nobody to blame but me for going the cheaper route.
Save yourself the headache and buy a Delco one now. The cheaper ones seem to fail. All of them. And you know if it's gonna fail, it's gonna fail at the worst possible time.

Aeroscream

Reaction score
I have to agree with both of you.

I had only changed the assy due to the sender getting flakey, (10 yr old Delco assy). The pump still worked but increasingly made more noise in the last year or so. The original was replaced while still working but it also made a lot of noise likewise any output fuel pressure was decreasing. I never run the tank down as to keep fuel pumps submerged to keep them cooled off and change the filter along the frame no less than yearly as to not make the pumps work harder than they need to.

Precision brand uses Carter brand fuel pumps. I never heard much bad about them. I amnmore frustrated with having to rewire the harness and troubleshoot it. I will have to say it is whisper quiet and has good initial pressure. They are made in the good ol USA in Logansport, IN. My birth family is from there, and my 92yr old mom still lives independently there. She used to work at that Carter plant herself years ago. Not a scientific reason to not buy a Delco pump I recognize that, but Carter makes good pumps and has a good track record.

Most Delco products are made now outside of the United States. Ironically, one of the plants they closed was in Anderson, IN and moved to Mexico. My mom said there they did make some if the Delco Pumps amongst many other products.

If it fails I will be the first one to admit fault, and may have to take my flag and wrap myself in it in a respectful way to keep warm alongside the road waiting for the tow truck.

I most respectfully appreciate both of your guys' input, please understand that. Thanks

Aeroscream

Reaction score
So far so good with the fuel pump/sender unit, and tank situation.

I started the front brake overhaul. Turned the rotors with plenty of meat left on them. Packed the bearings, new seals for the hub (obviously), calipers, pads, and flushed out the brake fluid completely when bleeding out.

Was looking for a rattle in the right front and found it. The RH upper control arm bushing at the rear had self-destructed. Made a decision to go ahead and rebuild the front suspension. I ordered Moog brand upper and lower control arms, and A/C Delco urethane sway bar link kits and center bushings. Rock Auto had great prices. I ordered KYB gas shocks for the front and rear. I should have all the parts arriving tomorrow making a busy weekend, the off to the alignment shop.

Aeroscream

Reaction score

I started the front brake overhaul. Turned the rotors with plenty of meat left on them. Packed the bearings, new seals for the hub (obviously), calipers, pads, and flushed out the brake fluid completely when bleeding out.

Was looking for a rattle in the right front and found it. The RH upper control arm bushing at the rear had self-destructed. Made a decision to go ahead and rebuild the front suspension. I ordered Moog brand upper and lower control arms, and A/C Delco urethane sway bar link kits and center bushings. Rock Auto had great prices. I ordered KYB gas shocks for the front and rear. I should have all the parts arriving tomorrow making a busy weekend, the off to the alignment shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_085825650.jpg
    IMG_20220208_085825650.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220208_085845036.jpg
    IMG_20220208_085845036.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220208_085853672.jpg
    IMG_20220208_085853672.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 6

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it's working for you, and hope that continues to be the state of affairs.
I have had 2 personal experiences with non-Delco pumps failing very soon after installation, never with the 3 Delco pumps I've used. Many (10+) second hand accounts of similar experiences among friends.
Not scientific either, but enough that I won't trust anything else. Fuel pumps always (yes, frikkin ALWAYS) fail right after you have filled the tank, and got some place to be...