1999 K2500 Fuel Tank Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You also need a long bed to fit a Suburban tank I do believe. Your other option is a rear Tahoe tank. They also came with side tanks I do believe.

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if the Yukon 30gal tank will fit but you'll still need to figure out the filler neck. Here's a pic with dimensions to check.
You must be registered for see images attach

Charlie Bryan

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a '99 K2500, 4 door that has the 25ish gallon fuel tank. I have been looking at trying to put a 42 gallon Suburban tank where the spare tire sits(I dont need the spare because I have 35s anyway) and removing the stock fuel tank. I have the 7.4 so I only get maybe 10 MPG city and 8 when towing. Has anyone ever done this? Is it possible?? Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated.
I installed a 40 gallon tank from my suburban into my shorter k-1500. I reused the straps and added long 3/8 bolts to hold it up. I did cut a new new gas door into the fender and originally took out the fuel pump and used a transfer pump to use the gas gauge in the front tank. After a small fire under the hood, I took off the TBI and about 10 pounds of unnecessary wiring and added a carb and extended the gas gauge wiring to the rear tank.
The front tank started leaking , so I removed it and made the exhaust and headers easy to install. I really like the extended cruise range and extra weight on the rear.
All in all pretty easy swap.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone wants to try this modification, I have a good '97 K2500 Suburban fuel tank with a good pump still in it. It can be anyone's for free. Near Charlotte area. Also have the rock guard. Probably find the bands...?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Watching this one.

A fuel cell would probably be a lot easier to cram into the space you have, but definitely won't look nearly as good.