1999 2 door Tahoe 6.0 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a donor truck (2003 Silverado HD) with a LQ9 and 4l80e. I planned on using the whole drivetrain but that would make my rear axel an 8-lug pattern. That’s all good and well but I need an 8-lug front end also to match. I was wondering if anyone knew what it took to use the control arms off of the 2003 on the obs application. So far most of the swap as I see will be bolt on with minimal fabrication and I would like to keep fabrication to a minimum. Would I be better off buying all 2500 front end parts from a 98?

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if you buy all of the 4x4 parts, the frame mounting locations have some differences, my buddy tried this in a 92 suburban and had a hell of a time making it work.

Just thought about it, you didn't say 4x4, I just assumed. 4x2 might be much easier... I have no experience for that.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, why don't you keep the rear axle? Is your Tahoe a 4x4? You can get a 14 bolt 6 lug from like a 2500LD GMT-400 for a direct swap. The 14 bolt GMT-800 will require modifications.

Not sure if you are 2wd to convert to 8 lug? 8 lug 2 door Tahoe would look very unique, though!

BTW, the 2500HD came with LQ4, if it matters.

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, why don't you keep the rear axle? Is your Tahoe a 4x4? You can get a 14 bolt 6 lug from like a 2500LD GMT-400 for a direct swap. The 14 bolt GMT-800 will require modifications.

Not sure if you are 2wd to convert to 8 lug? 8 lug 2 door Tahoe would look very unique, though!

BTW, the 2500HD came with LQ4, if it matters.
It is a 4x4, but I’m gonna use a NVG149 to make it all-wheel drive. I was trying to use it so I can convert the rear brakes to disk

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if you buy all of the 4x4 parts, the frame mounting locations have some differences, my buddy tried this in a 92 suburban and had a hell of a time making it work.

Just thought about it, you didn't say 4x4, I just assumed. 4x2 might be much easier... I have no experience for that.
I have a whole truck waiting to be picked up, so I have all of the parts. Is it fab work? And if it is does he have an acct or picks of what he had to do? And it is a 4x4

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is a 4x4, but I’m gonna use a NVG149 to make it all-wheel drive. I was trying to use it so I can convert the rear brakes to disk
There's PowerNation series on something similar with 5.3/4L80e/AWD. They left the 10 bolt, however. I'm not a big follower of the lowered trucks, but must say, this one is sweet:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Watch the entire series

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a while back. There was a lot of bullshit to figure out regarding which set of control arms to use and I believe he had to use the 2500 lowers and the 1500 uppers and then use the spindle from the 2500. The CV shaft should fit both, but the front axle will not work because it moves to the passenger side to compensate for the fact that the ring and pinion are bigger. This makes the passenger cv too long and the drivers too short. So he has the 1500 front axle with the 8 lug outers...

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's PowerNation series on something similar with 5.3/4L80e/AWD. They left the 10 bolt, however. I'm not a big follower of the lowered trucks, but must say, this one is sweet:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Watch the entire series
I just watched that for inspiration yesterday, and I’d just prefer the beefiness of the 14 bold compared to the 10. I plan on lifting it 6” eventually and would rather have something that can handle whatever I throw at it.

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a while back. There was a lot of bullshit to figure out regarding which set of control arms to use and I believe he had to use the 2500 lowers and the 1500 uppers and then use the spindle from the 2500. The CV shaft should fit both, but the front axle will not work because it moves to the passenger side to compensate for the fact that the ring and pinion are bigger. This makes the passenger cv too long and the drivers too short. So he has the 1500 front axle with the 8 lug outers...
That sounds about right . I guess it wouldn’t be much of a project without some troubleshooting. As long as there is a way to make it work I’ll be happy. Do you remember if he needed spacers on the back?