1998 Silverado Gutless When Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
HPT does some stuff on these trucks that EFILive does not. Like the TCC of a 4L80 staying locked after you lift off the throttle and telling it if it's 2wd or 4wd and 4lo shift points so 4lo actually works after a 411 swap.

I think you may have these two products mixed up, or maybe this used to be the case - but as far as I can tell, I can do both of these things in EFI Live. And I can change VIN's, and pull DPF filters off diesels - both things that HPT cannot do. These were the deciding factors in my purchasing EFI Live over HPT.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have EFILive. A .cax file is required to keep the TCC locked in a 4L80 and there are no 4lo shift tables in EFILive. You have to start with a 4wd S10 tune and segment swap your stuff onto that, but leave the system segment alone.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining this to me. I assumed that the spot where I can enter the gear ratio for the 4lo range on the transfer case would be enough to have the shift points follow their normal programing with the new calculated speed (on the express van tune I was using for 0411 swap). I haven't tested this. Thanks for the information.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well there is a place to enter the 4lo ratio in EFILive, but it doesn't do anything if the PCM ignores the signal from the transfer case that it's in 4lo. That's the part that's buried in the code that HPT has unlocked and EFILive does not. HPT also has separate shift tables for 4lo which I never knew existed anywhere, but it makes sense.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well there is a place to enter the 4lo ratio in EFILive, but it doesn't do anything if the PCM ignores the signal from the transfer case that it's in 4lo. That's the part that's buried in the code that HPT has unlocked and EFILive does not. HPT also has separate shift tables for 4lo which I never knew existed anywhere, but it makes sense.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, all I had to do to make it work was move the cable bracket over the thickness of that plate.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome. I might try one of the 92mm eBay specials since the summit one isn't available anymore. That should go well with the 85mm 5 wire maf that I plan to swap to when I build my intake (idk about the rest of you, but mine heat soaks bad in traffic)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have EFILive. A .cax file is required to keep the TCC locked in a 4L80 and there are no 4lo shift tables in EFILive. You have to start with a 4wd S10 tune and segment swap your stuff onto that, but leave the system segment alone.
Quick interruption...
The .Cax file... where can I find more info on this?
I put a switch on the dash to override the TCC so I can keep it locked on the hilly interstate here.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They can be found on the EFILive forum with instructions, a couple of them like transient fueling made it into the actual software updates. For my TCC I just increased the hysteris to increase the TCC's ability to stay locked longer. To keep it locked on a lift though you'll need to contact Lextech. To my knowledge he's the only one with that particular .cax.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They can be found on the EFILive forum with instructions, a couple of them like transient fueling made it into the actual software updates. For my TCC I just increased the hysteris to increase the TCC's ability to stay locked longer. To keep it locked on a lift though you'll need to contact Lextech. To my knowledge he's the only one with that particular .cax.
Thanks!
I found him and set him a PM. He hooked me up.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE