1998 L29 454 Torque pro app findings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I should really get into this.
The price of admission is more than worth being able to read/clear codes and see when your emissions monitors are ready so you can scoot down to the inspection man before new codes get set. :D (In Texas you can have one monitor not ready; for my SS that's the EVAP...if I clear codes then keep the tank above 75% and drive around until the other monitors go ready, I can get it smogged.)

Richard

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a MX link it works good on all my ODB 2 stuff. The plug you where holing @RichardSwinger was the for EVO on power steering pump?
[emoji15] for the what??? I honestly have no idea what it is, but I'll start learning on what EVO means in terms of power steering. I've read on a Facebook page about a power steering plug that people unplug on purpose but that was for a 5.7 TBI and was in a different location in the engine bay. That, and I place more stock in the technical advice/opinions of people in here [emoji16].

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you owned It? PO removed it maybe?
You must be registered for see images
For some reason I'm not able to see the picture you shared.

I've had it since January of this year and it has always been unplugged.

I did as much due diligence as I could when looking over the truck before purchase. There was a bit of a long and winding story to the truck, but it came with a full Carfax printout and receipts for all the parts. I believe it was picked up for cheap with a wiped crank bearing, and the engine rebuild got stock cam/lifters/valve springs/bearings new rings and some sort of machine shop work (maybe resurfacing the deck? Valve seals?) and the only real "upgrade" component was a "scat crank" which I guess is kind of a performance upgrade? The work was done by an independent mechanic that had a VERY impressive shop setup for a one man operation and between what I saw him working on on my visits there, the receipts, and the amount of time I spent getting to know the guy I've got faith that the work as advertised was actually done. It's unfortunate that the engine was pulled and got a stock camshaft, but makes sense as it was put together to be a reliable towing truck and not a hotrod, and a new cam would have required a retune which I don't think was in this old school mechanics wheelhouse.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I'm looking for a (reasonably) cheap entry ticket to this game, what's the best bang for the buck?
Ha good guess! the MX isn't cheap like the ELM are but it has a bonus of being bi-directional if you want to get into LS-Droid and such. The ELM works fine on my '07 Burb and '10 Camaro never tried on the '98 because i have CKO tech-2 and the MX mostly bought the cheaper one for double checking engine temp on the 10 because cold t-stat cause a temp code that will shut off a/c so it rides in the door pocket mostly.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For some reason I'm not able to see the picture you shared.

I've had it since January of this year and it has always been unplugged.

I did as much due diligence as I could when looking over the truck before purchase. There was a bit of a long and winding story to the truck, but it came with a full Carfax printout and receipts for all the parts. I believe it was picked up for cheap with a wiped crank bearing, and the engine rebuild got stock cam/lifters/valve springs/bearings new rings and some sort of machine shop work (maybe resurfacing the deck? Valve seals?) and the only real "upgrade" component was a "scat crank" which I guess is kind of a performance upgrade? The work was done by an independent mechanic that had a VERY impressive shop setup for a one man operation and between what I saw him working on on my visits there, the receipts, and the amount of time I spent getting to know the guy I've got faith that the work as advertised was actually done. It's unfortunate that the engine was pulled and got a stock camshaft, but makes sense as it was put together to be a reliable towing truck and not a hotrod, and a new cam would have required a retune which I don't think was in this old school mechanics wheelhouse.

Could you open the link?

RichardSwinger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried a couple of different ways to open that link but was still unable to. I really appreciate your help!