1998 GMC c1500 sierra missing front and rear sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCGerbil247

Reaction score
I have a 1998 GMC SIERRA and noticed it does not have front or rear sway bars. Front look to have holes drilled for it but ot noticed any for the rear. Would it be safe to drive. G

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 GMC SIERRA and noticed it does not have front or rear sway bars. Front look to have holes drilled for it but ot noticed any for the rear. Would it be safe to drive. G
The trucks didn’t have rear sway bar believe. Suburbans did. The front should have one. Is it safe to drive, probably. I wouldn’t. In the earlier years of this platform they didn’t have them standard. 88/89? Maybe?

Will you notice it - yes.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 C3500 has the big bar. My '89 C1500 came with a 350 and JB5 brakes, and also has the big bar. I added a Suburban sway bar to the C1500.
I think it was an option. RPO F58 and F59.
OK - I think I found it going through my RPO codes. :pepper:

I have F59

You must be registered for see images attach

Dropped88 said this in another thread.
My born 03/88 has no sway bar.

No holes in lower control arms to attach end links and i dont believe the frame had any either

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 5.7L had no front sway bar.

Got a "great deal" on a C1500 front sway bar...and found out it doesn't fit. The 2WD and the 4WD sway bars are completely different.

Found a 4WD sway bar at the Treasure Yard. Nice improvement.

I don't have a rear bar, but maybe I should look into getting one.