1998 GMC 3500 HD Overhaul - Crew Cab Commercial Chassis GMT-455

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motas02

Reaction score
Everything you have stated is correct.

The forged Alcoa rims are currently the inners, and the outers are new aftermarket. During my install I was able to get good hub contact with the outer wheel center on the hub. The contact area is limited, but it's there and centered. I also believe that my Alcoas could be thinner than the wheels in your picture, which would give me more contact. There is a significant difference in the thickness of the forged Alcoa and the aftermarket wheels at the hub. 3k after install and I have not experienced any issues with balance or vibration. Ill try to grab some pics the next time I pull them off.
Update on rear wheels. Confirmed! The hub contact is insufficient to provide proper centering on the outer wheel. Also, the inner alloys need to be warm to R&I from the hub without drama. The Alcoa have tight fitment to both the hub and studs (hub centered), while the aftermarket wheel has only good center fitment. Alcoas have been swapped to the outside due to them having better centering to the studs over the aftermarket models. I am not concerned about stud sheer issues, due to the light duty nature of the trucks current work. Balance however is something that vexes me. I will run it in this configuration for a while and update.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posting this to light a fire under @skylark 's ass. And maybe give him some envy.
The HD fire has been smoldering since we bought the Opitmizer because that is what it came out of. Our plan to travel with a truck camper in our retirement years and the realization that we needed more truck is what stalled the Opitmizer installation. The clearing of other projects finally moved this one up to the priority list.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That interior looks VERY familiar, surprising to see a Silverado trim level crew cab. Especially one intended for serious commercial use like this one was! Most of the crew cab long bed trucks that I've seen since I got mine last July, have been Cheyenne or Scottsdale trim levels, with the big sealed beam headlights and painted grille.
Really cool what you've done with this truck, and I appreciate the history on this rare piece of Chevy truck history.

GrogKnight

Reaction score
I just picked one of these up on trade, ha. It took me a hell of a lot of time to figure out wth I had. These forums have been a lifesaver. I have spent a ton of money buying parts this week. The bolt pattern conundrum was killing me for a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked one of these up on trade, ha. It took me a hell of a lot of time to figure out wth I had. These forums have been a lifesaver. I have spent a ton of money buying parts this week. The bolt pattern conundrum was killing me for a bit.
Welcome..

These old HD's are tough as nails. Looks like you got a brand new CM bed on it, too clean to just be a repaint. What's the other details on the truck?

Richard