1998 Chevy Silverado, possible future project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, I appreciate the input guys....I'm thinking my old saying "if ya can't afford the gas, don't buy a gas-hog" is the situation he's in, because he's currently driving a 2007 honda civic. I took it for a test drive and you can barely even hear the gear drive(was very pronounced on my last car with that). It IS a potent SOB for sure though, gonna get my cousin to hook it to his laptop and see what his opinion is, he said you can see all the readings while driving it. I'll post back with what goes wrong.

The color is black cherry(closest i can find is called dark cherry).

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
If you want it for parts then do it. I don't see a problem with that. I would be weary about driving it as is for a DD or something. A problem could present itself over a long distance that would never have popped up on a short cruise. Also If you are picky about workmanship then you could find yourself redoing a bunch of work to have it the way it is.

I say get it, drop the motor into your sig truck, put a normal motor in the new truck (meaning stock or close to) and sell it to some one else to recover some funds. If that would be an option for you. I know i would consider that option especially if i had another motor to drop in.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you want it for parts then do it. I don't see a problem with that. I would be weary about driving it as is for a DD or something. A problem could present itself over a long distance that would never have popped up on a short cruise. Also If you are picky about workmanship then you could find yourself redoing a bunch of work to have it the way it is.

I say get it, drop the motor into your sig truck, put a normal motor in the new truck (meaning stock or close to) and sell it to some one else to recover some funds. If that would be an option for you. I know i would consider that option especially if i had another motor to drop in.

You bring up a good point, my cousin said the air:fuel ratio leaned way out when you got down on it and the rpm built up. At 5k rpm, the mix was 21:1, and I haven't a clue how to fix that without alot of figuring(tinkering), so I think I'll pass. I would rather just build a sb 400 so I can internally balance it without it having any miles on it(especially if it wasn't broken in correctly). Thanks guys, sometimes I need someone to "kick" me in the butt to open my eyes to the real issues.