1998 Chevy Silverado, possible future project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok, as the title says, this truck is what I'm replacing the yukon with(well, he's giving me 1200 credit as trade-in). He's got a long list of receipts, but I'm only going off what I remember seeing.

400 short block(externally balanced)
edelbrock vortec heads
holley tbi-to-vortec intake
52mm holley tbi
18psi high volume fuel pump
500/504 lift, 300/302(adv) duration, (lunati clone)
self-aligning roller lifters
needle bearing 1.6 roller rockers
relief cut flat top pistons
pushrod braces
roller wrist pins
2-row cam gear drive
high volume oil pump
8 quart pan
4 core aluminum radiator
192 degree thermostat
4L80E, electronic shift kit(something about a separate shift controller)
tbichips custom tune(i didnt get the parameters)
83k miles on body, 4500 miles on engine(I'm just praying it was broke-in correctly)

Ofcourse the first thing is to get rid of those fugly 3d tail lenses. I'm still debating on the trade though, it's nice to have a 4x4, but it's still an awesome deal for the truck. Very clean in/out. He's wanting $2k along with the yukon. If only it were a GMC....hahaha jk.

So yeah, give me suggestions on what else I should look for?
It seems the transfer from mpfi to tbi was done very cleanly, I KNOW it's the 400 because he didn't have it torn down and internally balanced.

attachment.php

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how nice is your yukon? IMO that truck is ugly but that engine sounds like a beast.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of buying stuff that someone has molested that much. Sounds weird to me that he converted it to TBI. Seems like a lot of mods that you would have to weed through to figure out any problems. Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of the truck or all the changes, but if you feel its a good deal, then go with it. One thing to watch out for on newer motors with knock sensors is that the gear drive can vibrate and be loud enough to mess with the knock sensors and give you problems. Also, the 400's have 3 freeze plugs along the side of the block as opposed to the 350 which has 2.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I agree that it was an odd choice of fuel delivery, and was wondering if anyone knew the actual true cfm's of the 52mm holley tbi? Because with that cam, and size of engine, wouldn't it need something in the 750-850 cfm range?

Main reason I asked about whether to get or not is because I'm a packrat with these body styles and can rarely part with them afterwards....unless someone pesters me enough to sell. The Yukon is my 94 that the tree landed on the back of.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of buying stuff that someone has molested that much. Sounds weird to me that he converted it to TBI. Seems like a lot of mods that you would have to weed through to figure out any problems. Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm not a fan of the truck or all the changes, but if you feel its a good deal, then go with it. One thing to watch out for on newer motors with knock sensors is that the gear drive can vibrate and be loud enough to mess with the knock sensors and give you problems. Also, the 400's have 3 freeze plugs along the side of the block as opposed to the 350 which has 2.

I may internally balance a 400 for my truck in sig, do ya know if there's a way to run gear drive and not have possible issues? Like maybe tuning the chip to ignore knock sensors?

UPDATE: Just called the guy and he said the tbi is a 4-bbl and bench flows ~1000cfm o_O

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may internally balance a 400 for my truck in sig, do ya know if there's a way to run gear drive and not have possible issues? Like maybe tuning the chip to ignore knock sensors?

UPDATE: Just called the guy and he said the tbi is a 4-bbl and bench flows ~1000cfm o_O

You'd have to ask a tuner about that. I'm not sure if you want to take the sensor out though, it is supposed to protect the motor. My buddy built a 383 with 'loud' gear drive for his 87 TBI. Shortly after spending thousands on it, the gear drive/knock sensor took out the whole motor. I forget the details because it was a long time ago. The gear drive was specifically loud, so a normal one might be ok. I don't know much about the subject, just giving a heads up about what happened to my friend's motor.