1998 Chevy K1500 Z71 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is the story of my new to me '98 Z71. I found the truck behind a local mechanic shop I was making deliveries to for my job at the local NAPA. The truck was given to the mechanic in exchange for work done, though it wasn't clear which vehicle he did the work on. The truck has some rust, but is other wise solid for a 18 year old vehicle that has spent much of its life in Ohio. The only catch is there is a awful racket coming from deep inside the engine, suspected to be a wrist pin jumping ship. However, the price was right, and I snagged the rig for $600 after storage fees. Shortly thereafter, I located an engine through the local Craigslist that should fit. While the story was suspect, the truck is currently a runner, so in theory all I have to do is swap parts until it runs with the new engine. Both engines are 5.7 Vortec V8's, the Craigslist one being a '97 and the truck a '98. This is exciting to me as it's my first project vehicle, as well as my first major engine work and swap. The pictures below are from when I test drove the truck. While it is home at the time of writing, I'll save the story of that fiasco for another day.
You must be registered for see images attach

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are pictures from monday night. After a mix up with the keys, the truck is finally home!

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And in the yard, with the NBS. I also picked up the engine stand for the new (used) engine, so the build can begin!