1998 5.7 Vortec lower intake manifold leaking coolant after the gaskets were replaced.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was leaking out of the left front of the gasket above the water pump I had a friend/mechanic do the job cause I did not want to do it. That was 3 months ago and now it's leaking on the right side on the top of the intake and the coolant is running down the edge of the head and spilling off of the back of the engine and trans. I only noticed the leak when I changed the oil and saw stains on the y pipe and coolant on the trans and the back of the oilpan.
I bought the Fel-pro MIK98000T gasket kit and it was installed . The truck has 134k on the OD. The guy who "fixed" it thinks the manifold could be warped or cracked. There was no water/coolant in the oil when I changed the oil. I put a torque wrench on the bolt on the front (pic) and it took 22 lbs. the to break the bolt loose. The specs for the last of of the 3rd torqueing the bolts are 12lb. I know the bolts came w anti seize but I would think it would not take 22lbs to loose that bolt. What do ya'll think?
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20220130_172126.jpg
    20220130_172126.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it coming from the gasket, the head of the bolt, or the heater quick connect fitting?
The fitting was replaced w the gaskets. It was dry when I took the pics, maybe it dried up before I took the pics? no signs of coolant on the connector anywhere.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it coming from the gasket, the head of the bolt, or the heater quick connect fitting?
the truck is parked up hill, the anti freeze is running down the joint of the head and intake to the back of the engine. I would assume while driving the wind blows it to the back of the engine, the back side of the trans. starter are wet..

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the breakaway torque will be different than what the bolts were originally torqued to...

On that photo you posted it sure does look like the threads are leaking.
I would probably rent that coolant pressure tester from the local parts store and see if you can figure out where it's leaking from.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't remember on these intake manifold gaskets, but is sealant supposed to be used on the bolt threads like on the water pumps?

Isn't that what the little tube that comes in the kit?