1997 K1500 Brake sensor/booster question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500WT

Reaction score
I have 97 k1500 that I recently purchased. After driving it for about a week the brake pedal got extremely hard to push and the engine was struggling when brake pressure was applied. All signs pointed to the brake booster so I replaced it and it fixed the problem. Now I have a different brake related problem. Sometimes when I first start the truck, or if I press the brake pedal too hard when coming to a stop sign or light, the brake pedal gets stuck and the truck won’t move unless I put it park and turn the engine off and then back on. It makes a squeeky sound when this happens. I’m not sure if this problem is related to the brake booster, the sensor that is attached to the brake pedal or something else. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

97K1500WT

Reaction score
Anyone? I want to try to figure this out without having to take to a mechanic, thanks in advance

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds more like an ABS issue to me, although I have no idea what would make it engage and stick like that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABS? Possible, not likely. Why would the ABS make the "squeeky sound" when you push the pedal?

I'd be suspecting a faulty booster that won't release because there's a sticking internal valve. Squeeky sound is the whistle of the giant vacuum leak upsetting the mixture.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ABS? Possible, not likely. Why would the ABS make the "squeeky sound" when you push the pedal?

I've had mine make some noises at me when it's pulsing, trying to stop on a patch of ice for example. Could've just been the pedal rubbing my shoe or something, though.

97K1500WT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The brake booster was replaced by the previous owner a few months prior to me buying the truck (still had the fresh tag on it). It stopped working less than a week after I bought it. I drove myself crazy thinking that it couldn’t be the brake booster because it was basically new. I ended up replacing it myself because all signs pointed to it being faulty. It fixed the hard brake peddle and rough engine idle (when brakes applies), but now it “sticks” as mentioned before. Could there possibly be something that is causing the brake boosters to go bad!? I’d hate to burn another up and have to replace again without finding the problem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely to be the supplier is incompetent, and sending out faulty boosters.

I can't think of anything that would cause repeat failures of the booster except that they weren't rebuilt properly.