1997 GMC Suburban K1500 "Scarlet"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is my 97 Suburban. Picked it up almost 2 years ago for $1600. Wanted a 4x4 but I also don't have much experience working on/fixing cars/trucks so I decided to get a nugget to fix and mod. And boy was it an absolute nugget. When I bought it the only apparent issues were a cracked windshield, a broken driver seat (The front left mount for the seat had sheered off so if you hit the gas the seat would twist backwards), a stained rear carpet from a bbq business, and no power steering. An hour drive on backroads to get home was fun.
It has been on a few (not as many as I would like) off road adventures. And has done reasonably well.
As far as repairs, here is what I have done:
-New powersteering pump
-New coolant lines and connectors
-New driver seat
-New AC control panel (those are way more expensive than I thought they would have been)
-Had the windshield professionally replaced (obviously I didn't do it)
-New AC compressor and lines up front. Got a rear AC block off kit because the lines to the back are bad and I don't feel like replacing them.
-Replaced many pulleys
-Replaced windshield wiper controller
-Cleaned the intake system
-Replaced the distributor (along with plugs and wires obviously)
-Transfer case fill plug had to be drilled out and tapped because it was really seized in there
-Replaced headlight assemblies
-Transfer case solenoid replaced
-Rebuilt rear drum brake adjusters,
-Replaced brake calipers (found out one had a torn boot. This is after I was barreling down mountains in North Georgia. Its a miracle I didn't go off the side.)
-New brake pads and rotors
- Fixed front door locks and replaced door handles
-Rear barn door stopper arms replaced
I think that might be it for repairs.....I can't remember
For mods:
-Visor
-Basket
-4 Front facing LED lights, 1 rear facing LED light
-2.5 inch leveling kit
-BF Goodrich KM3s
-Completely upgraded sound system with 10inch sub
-Tow Mirrors (because I would have school buses go missing in my blind spots)
-mudflaps
-Made a handle on the inside of the barn doors so that I can get out when I camp in the truck
You must be registered for see images attach

I am sure I have forgot something but I got to say it runs like a top now and I have learned a lot on this truck and I am sure I have more to learn. Especially as I try to figure out what is wrong with the 4x4 system.

Wiscoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks sweet! I like the work you've done it has a nice stance to it and the basket is a nice touch you don't see often on these.