1996 k3500 diesel hi beam wire color not same as in manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a Cheyenne with sealed beam headlights. Not the quad type. My hi beams aren't working and I've been trying to diagnose. The 3 wires at the headlight are light green, tan and black. I get no power to the lt green when switching the headlight dimmer switch to HI and no bright/hi beam indicator in dash.

When I took the headlight dimmer switch off and looking for a lt green to test and I don't see a lt green. I probed all the wires for one that turns on when I switch to HI beam on dimmer and found that its a white wire that turns on when I switch hi beams on. This differs from the manual. Do I just need to trace this wire and find where its broke?

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the diagram from the manual

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504_152555_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230504_152555_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 10

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can't speak to the manual differing from what you have in front of you, but a common failure point on 1995-up for the high beams are the wires from the multifunction switch right where they bend when you tilt the column. There are several very thin gauge wires in that area and over the years the tilting of the column tends to break them internally. I'd start there. Take care removing the clamshell plastics from the column as they're somewhat easy to break.

Richard

Angelo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided not to go thru the hassle of taking apart the wiring harness and figuring out where the wire is broke. Instead I tapped the wire from the multifunction switch and run a new wire thru the firewall to give power to the LT green that powers the hi beams