1996 Chevy C 1500 vortec 5.7 Rotor and Hub question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1996 Chevy C 1500/ vortec 5.7/ so this is a Rotor and Hub question.

My truck currently has the Rotor and Wheel Hub assembly as one piece. Is this common and why is it when I search the internet they (stores) always show the two piece set (Rotors and wheel hubs as separate) as fitting my truck? Did maybe the original owner switch them out?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one-piece rotor/hub system used to be common as dirt from ~'67--87-ish on RWD cars and trucks; and before that they were sometimes using the lug-stud knurls to "rivet" the drum to the hub. I thought it was a wonderful upgrade when they made the rotor separate from the hub on certain vehicles--usually wrong-wheel drive cars, and 4WD trucks. (In other words, vehicles with front CV axles)

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The one-piece rotor/hub system used to be common as dirt from ~'67--87-ish on RWD cars and trucks; and before that they were sometimes using the lug-stud knurls to "rivet" the drum to the hub. I thought it was a wonderful upgrade when they made the rotor separate from the hub on certain vehicles--usually wrong-wheel drive cars, and 4WD trucks. (In other words, vehicles with front CV axles)
I use the term "Wrong Wheel Drive" too!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A two piece generally makes changing the rotors easier. Except on our 4x4 8 lug trucks. It can be an all day long job on those.
Yeah, but that's because they've put the rotor on the wrong side of the hub, and then "riveted" the mess together using the knurl of the lug studs.

And then, just to make the situation worse, they install cheap, small-headed bolts using no anti-seize, to retain the hub to the steering knuckle. 15mm heads that round-off so bad I had to hammer a 9/16 socket onto a couple of 'em.

Morons. The only bright side to the whole works is that by the time you get the hub off, you can squeeze in a lower ball joint without any extra labor except the presswork.

And I get to do the other side come spring/summer.