1995 TBI C1500. Have Vortec. Want to swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
First, the vehicles I have to work with. All complete and running
1995 C1500 Cheyenne TBI 350/4L60E
1996 C1500 Sierra Vortec 350/4L60E
1998 C2500 Suburban Vortec 454/4L80E

I am swapping a 454 into my '96 Sierra, and will be pulling my 350/4L60E w/ harness and PCM. I will also be swapping out the brake system, so I will have the distribution block for that as well.
My friend has a '95 Cheyenne with the oh so awesome TBI. Will the Vortec be plug and play? Like I said, I will have the full harness and all.
From what I can see, the only difference will be the OBD plug under the dash, what would I need to do to swap that out? I have another OBDII from the Suburban I pulled the 454 from.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You would have to swap engine, trans, and complete computer system from truck to truck.

-Via Mobile-

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Horns, yes. I understand that. My question basically was would I be able to just plug it all in and be good? Do I have to change anything under the dash as far as the diag port?

I guess I should just ask this -
If I install my 1996 (Vortec) harness, pcm, engine, and trans into the 1995 (TBI), will it run without anything else needing to be done?

Gatorboy, why? The SFI is MUCH better than the TBI and the roller cam in the Vortec allows for much higher and faster revs. What year is your truck?

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your from gm-trucks.com right?your still doing this swap?sometime last year you posted the same questions.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
You could swap the engine, tranny and harness from the 96 and run the PCM as a standalone but you would still need the 95 ECM to run the rest of the truck. Or you could rewire the entire truck and essentially make it a 96. Or swap in the Vortec, get a Vortec to TBI intake and not mess with any wiring. There is a difference between the 95 and 96 transmissions so you would have to run the 95 tranny is you did the Vortec TBI swap. The 1995 GM truck lineup was the ******* year where alot of stuff is only for 1995 trucks only.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah basically everything will need to be changed to work right. I own a '95 myself I've pondered the idea before but the benefits don't outweigh the hassle. With the same amount of time and effort I can build my 383 and throw it in there. :evillol:
The transmission, computer, and basically all wiring will be completely different. He may be better off just building his 350. Throw the vortec heads on there, get a better cam, higher volume fuel pump, etc..

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
your from gm-trucks.com right?your still doing this swap?sometime last year you posted the same questions.

Yessir, but plans have changed a few times since then. The Mark IV block I had wasn't going to work (timing cover and a few other things), so I sold it and all my other BB parts for three times what I paid, and decided to just build the 350 up. Then recently I was given a pretty decent '78 Camaro LT (with a blown engine) as payment for some work, and managed to trade it for a '99 C3500 GMC with a 454/5spd. I thought about swapping that out for a couple weeks, then got offered $5000 for the truck, so of course I sold it. I picked up a '98 Suburban C2500 for $800 with less than 125,000 miles on it. By now my 350 is knocking like crazy and I'm just going to swap the 454 straight in and find another Mark VI to build up, maybe even an 8.1. I heard that there's one in a boneyard not far from me and they only want $600 for it.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
You could swap the engine, tranny and harness from the 96 and run the PCM as a standalone but you would still need the 95 ECM to run the rest of the truck. Or you could rewire the entire truck and essentially make it a 96. Or swap in the Vortec, get a Vortec to TBI intake and not mess with any wiring. There is a difference between the 95 and 96 transmissions so you would have to run the 95 tranny is you did the Vortec TBI swap. The 1995 GM truck lineup was the ******* year where alot of stuff is only for 1995 trucks only.
Yeah basically everything will need to be changed to work right. I own a '95 myself I've pondered the idea before but the benefits don't outweigh the hassle. With the same amount of time and effort I can build my 383 and throw it in there. :evillol:
The transmission, computer, and basically all wiring will be completely different. He may be better off just building his 350. Throw the vortec heads on there, get a better cam, higher volume fuel pump, etc..

We were planning on building his engine already, but our whole point is to get away from the TBI. We wanted to swap in the Vortec so that a little down the road we can get a marine intake and make it MPFI instead of SPFI so that we can upgrade the injectors along with everything else.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
We were planning on building his engine already, but our whole point is to get away from the TBI. We wanted to swap in the Vortec so that a little down the road we can get a marine intake and make it MPFI instead of SPFI so that we can upgrade the injectors along with everything else.
Well it's all in how much work you guys want to do. Short answer is, no it's not anywhere near plug and play, but it can be done.