1995 TBI C1500. Have Vortec. Want to swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
So what will the '96 harness not run on the '95? I've looked at both trucks side by side and the under dash harness looks identical

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You could swap the engine, tranny and harness from the 96 and run the PCM as a standalone but you would still need the 95 ECM to run the rest of the truck. Or you could rewire the entire truck and essentially make it a 96. Or swap in the Vortec, get a Vortec to TBI intake and not mess with any wiring. There is a difference between the 95 and 96 transmissions so you would have to run the 95 tranny is you did the Vortec TBI swap. The 1995 GM truck lineup was the ******* year where alot of stuff is only for 1995 trucks only.

Well it's all in how much work you guys want to do. Short answer is, no it's not anywhere near plug and play, but it can be done.

This and that.

The Vortec computer is needed to run that engine, and the TBI harness is needed to run everything else in the truck as far as lights, switches, gauges, etc.

How you go about it, that's up to you. Get Creative. Run both computers, make your own harness, or you could even find a donor vehicle and swap the complete harness and interior.

Or, a much simpler way to get to your original wants, you could just run an aftermarket MPFI system on the TBI or the Vortec engine.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
The '95 has wiring that is individual to it's year alone. I've not seen a '96 recently, but I'm pretty sure it's different. If you do go through with it, please make a write-up for this site it'll help some other guys out who may be interested in doing the same thing.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What good will a more powerful fuel pump do? As I recalled, the FPR will only let about 15 PSI or so go through the injectors... I guess you could add a beefier FPR if they make them, but how much gain will you see there for the money?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
This and that.

The Vortec computer is needed to run that engine, and the TBI harness is needed to run everything else in the truck as far as lights, switches, gauges, etc.

How you go about it, that's up to you. Get Creative. Run both computers, make your own harness, or you could even find a donor vehicle and swap the complete harness and interior.

Or, a much simpler way to get to your original wants, you could just run an aftermarket MPFI system on the TBI or the Vortec engine.

I have the '98 Suburban that I pulled the 454 from, it may have a few extras (rear a/c, etc that a Sub would have), but should work fine. It really all depends on how long he wants his truck down I guess. I don't mind a challenge at all. In fact I thought I had put that quote in my sig. Guess I'll fix that.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
What good will a more powerful fuel pump do? As I recalled, the FPR will only let about 15 PSI or so go through the injectors... I guess you could add a beefier FPR if they make them, but how much gain will you see there for the money?
If you start adding a better cam and what not, the oem fuel pump can't keep up and will crap out much quicker.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
The '95 has wiring that is individual to it's year alone. I've not seen a '96 recently, but I'm pretty sure it's different. If you do go through with it, please make a write-up for this site it'll help some other guys out who may be interested in doing the same thing.

I certainly would make one if he decides that's what he wants to do

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Does he have a backup vehicle to drive? In my experience with motor swapping there is always unexpected delays :rofl:
Yeah but not one he would like to for very long. His mom has a very nice '04 Silverado SS....
but he would get stuck with her ragged out '02 Buick haha

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And whoever gave the rep, I appreciate it. I pride myself in trying to learn everything about what I'm working on.