1995 C1500 stereo unresponsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, today I went through and unplugged everything, antenna cable at both ends, head unit connectors, fuses, and light switch, and plugged it all back in.

And wouldn't you know it, the radio works.
As much as I'd like to claim victory for that little diddy, the antenna cable had nothing to do with that. Glad you got it sorted, but it must have been a bad connection on the head unit harness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Griffin Meeks

Reaction score
Yeah, ignore everything I said. I thought you could turn the head unit on, but couldn't grey the radio to work.

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to say?

The factory head unit in my 92 has been cutting out periodically. The unit can be turned on and off, but the volume controls, clock, and tuner are all frozen. Usually this just happens randomly, and then it fixes itself within 24-48 hours. I've been dealing with that for the past couple months, but last night i could cause it by fiddling with the wiper/blinker stalk.

Is that similar to what your were talking about? I've been looking online, and you're the first person to have anything resembling this problem.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to lose my mind!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what were you going to say?

The factory head unit in my 92 has been cutting out periodically. The unit can be turned on and off, but the volume controls, clock, and tuner are all frozen. Usually this just happens randomly, and then it fixes itself within 24-48 hours. I've been dealing with that for the past couple months, but last night i could cause it by fiddling with the wiper/blinker stalk.

Is that similar to what your were talking about? I've been looking online, and you're the first person to have anything resembling this problem.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to lose my mind!
At the time I thought he was having issues getting the radio function to work, so I thought his fender work may have messed it up.

Sounds like you have an electrical problem that is originating in the turn signal stalk. I'd look at all the circuits that connect those two systems together (I can't think of any, but look up the two electrical circuits and see if they correlate in any way). If they do, use a multimeter to check for a break in the circuit starting with the harness for the turn signal, if you can't find anything, check the harness for the head unit. The wiring for these is pretty simple, so it should be an easy diagnosis, for problems like this, I usually test resistance over components, rather than voltage.

Griffin Meeks

Reaction score
At the time I thought he was having issues getting the radio function to work, so I thought his fender work may have messed it up.

Sounds like you have an electrical problem that is originating in the turn signal stalk. I'd look at all the circuits that connect those two systems together (I can't think of any, but look up the two electrical circuits and see if they correlate in any way). If they do, use a multimeter to check for a break in the circuit starting with the harness for the turn signal, if you can't find anything, check the harness for the head unit. The wiring for these is pretty simple, so it should be an easy diagnosis, for problems like this, I usually test resistance over components, rather than voltage.

I gotcha.

I recently got access to some more detailed wiring diagrams than the Hanes ones I was using before. So far, I've found a common ground, but no shared hot wires. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks for the advice!