1995 C1500 stereo unresponsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I replaced my inner and outer fenders and core support over the weekend due to rust, and everything seems to work okay except the radio. (And the AC but I know what I did there... just waiting on parts...) It's the factory Delco unit, AM/FM and cassette. It has been LED'd but that has never been a problem.

I didn't mess with anything in the dash, the antenna is hooked up, and the only grounds I remember removing were A) headlight-related and B) reinstalled during reassembly.

Am I missing something? I had no radio issues at all before swapping fenders.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I replaced my inner and outer fenders and core support over the weekend due to rust, and everything seems to work okay except the radio. (And the AC but I know what I did there... just waiting on parts...) It's the factory Delco unit, AM/FM and cassette. It has been LED'd but that has never been a problem.

I didn't mess with anything in the dash, the antenna is hooked up, and the only grounds I remember removing were A) headlight-related and B) reinstalled during reassembly.

Am I missing something? I had no radio issues at all before swapping fenders.
Check the antenna cable, might have clipped it when you were doing the work, or it was trash before, but still making contact and you jostled it and finished it off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you mean where it attaches to the antenna, or to the radio?
I'd start from the antenna side since you didn't mention messing with anything in the dash. If I remember correctly the antenna wire starts in the fender then moves into the firewall just in front of the passenger side door jamb. There's an access hole in the engine compartment behind a roughly 4 inch square piece of plastic, should be able to grab it there and give it a tug in either direction, see if it feels loose.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the radio powering on or you just don't have reception?
Good question, I just assumed it was just the radio function that wasn't working, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A hot wire directly from battery positive to the hot connection on the radio will tell you much. If it doesn't work then it's the radio, if it does it is a power issue.

Reaction score
The radio doesn't turn on at all, not even the backlighting with the rest of the interior illumination. Nothing. I'll have to try the hotwire test.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The radio doesn't turn on at all, not even the backlighting with the rest of the interior illumination. Nothing. I'll have to try the hotwire test.
Yeah, ignore everything I said. I thought you could turn the head unit on, but couldn't grey the radio to work.

Reaction score
Well, today I went through and unplugged everything, antenna cable at both ends, head unit connectors, fuses, and light switch, and plugged it all back in.

And wouldn't you know it, the radio works.