1995 454 Exhaust Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Last June I had the donut gaskets replaced on my 95 454. All stock as far as the exhaust is concerned. This fixed most of the exhaust noise I was hearing, but there was still that annoying exhaust leak tick tick tick under the floor board. I assumed that meant I had a cracked manifold.

Fast forward a few months and 12k miles to now. The exhaust leak is back with a vengeance. It's so bad I have to shut the truck off to order from a drive through. I had chance this weekend to poke around for the cause and found that the donut gasket on the driver side is blown out again.
I also found, a crack in the manifold as expected - what I didn't expect to find was a sheared off bolt.

What would cause a donut gasket to blow out so soon?
Can the broken bolt be extracted without pulling the head?
The passenger manifold has a small crack too, if I replace both manifolds should I go the extra mile for headers?

Thanks for all your help, I'm just trying to decide what the best route to go is

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Headers are defiantly screaming your name right now.

and yes, you can remove a sheared off header bolt without removing the head, its pretty common practice but its still a PITA. Just take your time and buy the right tools for the job.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
So let's say I pull the manifolds, pull the broken studs out and install headers. How do I get the truck to an exhaust shop to sort out the rest of the exhaust? Do I tow it, or is there some kind of bolt on temporary solution?

The cat is only 2 or 3 years old, but it could very well be clogged. Don't they usually heat up and discolor real bad when they clog?

I would guess the motor mounts aren't in the best condition. The truck has 400k miles. The engine was rebuilt at 300k but I doubt the motor mounts were replaced.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So let's say I pull the manifolds, pull the broken studs out and install headers. How do I get the truck to an exhaust shop to sort out the rest of the exhaust? Do I tow it, or is there some kind of bolt on temporary solution?

Drive it, but do NOT step hard on the loud pedal if the cops are anywhere nearby!

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Well here is a crappy video of me revving the engine. I'm only giving it a bit of throttle, revving it to about 3k. If you watch the alternator you can see movement - I'm just not sure if that is too much movement?

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a shot of the truck for the hell of it

You must be registered for see images attach