1994 K1500 blown 3 trans within a year???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
So I found a nice 14 bolt heavy duty rear end with 3.73 on it the went on a 98 z71. AFter trans rebuilt would this stop me from blowing the transmissions or is there other measures I need to take to be able to run my 315's?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Thats not going to make it indestructible, but it should drastically prolong its life.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
14 bolt will help witht the bigger gears to get your truck moving without generating alot more heat in the trans, swap s straight forward and you can either run a conversion u joint or swap pinion yolks, neither are a big deal, as for trans cooler then hell yes, if it doesnt have it i put one on its just safe assurance, will that help fix your issues? i dont know i will tell you that you will for sure be generating alot less heat which the trans will like, but will it fix it? well i dunno none of us can be sure if your trans issues are overheating related or something that been wrong in the rebuild.

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. I have been told whats happening is 3rd gear is literally being burned out everytime. Im thinking its because its getting way too hot under load which I am in 3rd or OD most of the time due to satying between 40-60 everyday to work. So right now its between getting a 14 bolt and having the tranny rebuilt or selling it with just the rebuilt tranny.
I was thinking of upgrading to the 40l80e but not sure that would even bolt up to the 350?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will bolt up. The only thing that your gonna run into is controlling it. You will need a new tune

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yes youll need an adapter for the 4l603 to 80 and have to swap input shafts on your tcase i do believe. you may be able to get by without a tune.

technically if your already missing gears then the rear will help the new rebuilt tranny survive so both need to be done.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you getting these 4l60s upgraded when they are rebuilt?