1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The excessive tapping with the belt removed had nothing to do with the belt or accessories. The only real risks in running the engine for very long without the belt would be overheating since water pump and fan aren't turning, and battery being depeleted (far less of a risk on a short term basis) because alternator not charging. 2 minutes? I wouldn't worry. The tapping noise is unrelated and your much bigger concern.

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a weird resonance sound coming from #6 area when I put my hose and listen right on the valve cover. Seems new to me... It's very subtle....Almost like if you took a microphone feedback and pitched it down a little and gave it rhythm like the lifter..
Strange....
But no tapping or ticking
When you get to the lifter associated with this sound I'd like you to look for any extraneous rubbing
on the lifter body. Here's a photo of where the needle bearings inside a roller lifter failed, and the
problem was first identified by a 'squeaking' sound
Tonight when I had my mocked up valve covers on to adjust the lifter preload I could hear that resonance I was mentioning last month...when this journey all started. It's actually audible in my first video of the thread after I replaced my intake gaskets and did my first attempt at a lash adjustment. Cold adjustment first but the truck didn't start right. Then tried hot and left preload at 1/4 turn. All this was wrong as I later found out as I learned more so who knows where the preload was set.

Here's very first video..at 2:43 if you listen...you can hear this "feedback" sound if you listen closely.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm sure some of it has to do with my hearing being tuned into listening so I couldn't tell you how long this particular resonance sound has been here. I was surprised to go back and hear it in the first video because it wasn't even discovered or noticed until sometime later. Still before I removed the lifters to clean them. But later in the journey.

It's even audible in my what I thought was my final victory in all this. I just have to listen closely ..It's there

Tonight it was extra noticeable. Especially around #2 as well.....I haven't had the rocker covers off for some time but could always hear this sound, although it sounded softer and lower pitched with covers on......, but with the covers opened tonight, it's definitely noticeable and must be getting worse because I would have for sure freaked out in the past...

I didn't bolt down the valve covers . But this is the area and sound I have been hearing. And I can't recall it bugging me after the lifter cleaning. Doesn't sound good but all the lifters rolled free when I cleaned them and the exposed lobe of the cam looked good for every one. I didn't turn the crank and inspect the cam thoroughly though. Just looked at where it was rested....

Sure doesn't sound good....

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to take my rockers off and check some stuff.
I noticed yesterday when I was finding tdc that when the number 5 exhaust rod was at it's peak, I still hadn't reached tdc on my new balancer. The rod /rocker just started to move down slightly as I came up to the mark. maybe a couple or 3 degrees off...can't recall.....will check

Isn't #5 exhaust rocker supposed to be at it's max height when you're at tdc?
I hope I've got that right....

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight when I had my mocked up valve covers on to adjust the lifter preload I could hear that resonance I was mentioning last month...when this journey all started. It's actually audible in my first video of the thread after I replaced my intake gaskets and did my first attempt at a lash adjustment. Cold adjustment first but the truck didn't start right. Then tried hot and left preload at 1/4 turn. All this was wrong as I later found out as I learned more so who knows where the preload was set.

Here's very first video..at 2:43 if you listen...you can hear this "feedback" sound if you listen closely.

I'm sure some of it has to do with my hearing being tuned into listening so I couldn't tell you how long this particular resonance sound has been here. I was surprised to go back and hear it in the first video because it wasn't even discovered or noticed until sometime later. Still before I removed the lifters to clean them. But later in the journey.

It's even audible in my what I thought was my final victory in all this. I just have to listen closely ..It's there

Tonight it was extra noticeable. Especially around #2 as well.....I haven't had the rocker covers off for some time but could always hear this sound, although it sounded softer and lower pitched with covers on......, but with the covers opened tonight, it's definitely noticeable and must be getting worse because I would have for sure freaked out in the past...

I didn't bolt down the valve covers . But this is the area and sound I have been hearing. And I can't recall it bugging me after the lifter cleaning. Doesn't sound good but all the lifters rolled free when I cleaned them and the exposed lobe of the cam looked good for every one. I didn't turn the crank and inspect the cam thoroughly though. Just looked at where it was rested....

Sure doesn't sound good....

Did you actually take the lifters apart to clean them? Some of those look like they are flowing way too much oil through them like the metering valve is either not installed right or not in there at all. If all the oil flows up and out of the lifter it will bleed the pressure off and and prevent the lifter plunger from pumping up.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you actually take the lifters apart to clean them?
Post #159...yes ..very thoroughly...It was a nightmare....but you have something with the metering valve... I lost track of a couple and which way they were installed.
But this oil flow is pretty random and I'm positive that most were installed correctly so it doesn't make sense that some would be flowing the way they are.. You should have seen the way some were shooting many feet across the bay before....
Engine is pretty dirty.... I can imagine them getting crud in them in short order. That and the fact that I've been chasing some strange streaky glitter stuff in my oil since starting all of this......

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil should squirt out of those holes every time the lifter rises but not steady flow like yours are doing.
How well did you clean your engine before you took it apart. Any dirt that may have fell in will start grinding the moving parts and could be the cause of metal in your oil. A surgeon will thoroughly clean the area where he is going to make an incision, you have treat an engine the same way.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How well did you clean your engine before you took it apart
Not good. I was careful and cleaned up loose stuff but didn't get aggressive.
I' also started using Rislone right before and switched to synthetic oil at the same time and notice that it was loosening stuff. I quit using the rislone after the lifter cleaning but still am running synthetic and can see clean areas where they weren't before......

I'm getting ready to pull my distributor and check into things there. Never knew I had a roller cam and am curious if my distributor gear has been failing.
Just want to see where all this timing stuff lines up first .

Timing mark seems dead on looking at the piston.
Got too much slop in my timing chain . Which is odd because I remember checking not too long ago.....got to be a bit more than 1/2" play if I had to guess..
hmm.. new damper wouldn't affect that...?
weird...not surprised considering age.... just remember specifically testing it last month....maybe I wasn't paying enough attention

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you actually take the lifters apart to clean them? Some of those look like they are flowing way too much oil through them like the metering valve is either not installed right or not in there at all. If all the oil flows up and out of the lifter it will bleed the pressure off and and prevent the lifter plunger from pumping up.
ya ive never seen them shoot a stream out like that. usually just a dribble and then the tip of the rocker fills up and pours off

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know. It is random. I can probably fire it up when I get it back together and everything will be different or a different set will act up...
At least that has been my observation in the past when I was adjusting them a lot. This is the first time I've had it opened in a month or so.
Before cleaning them I'd say it was similar apart from a couple that would shoot over the wheel well. It was crazy...

The preload on all of these is way less than what they were when I started messing with them. Wonder if that has an effect overall? I'm really suspecting these must have been at a 1 1/2 turns at least in the past judging from the difference in threads showing but idk...