1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) Occasional lifter noise immediately after startup, which subsides after a few seconds. Per GM's own FSM, this is normal
and acceptable, no maintenance required. (See attached.)
Yes I saw that last night and am pretty certain this is where I'm at. Just don't understand why it was happening longer at times. It's a new thing...
I just pulled the truck around the block to back it in the driveway. I'm leaving for a couple of hours. It started with the 2 second taps ... Not liking the idle as much. Seems nervous...tiny missy feeling... Everything is really quiet...not tapping....sounds good.

There is a weird resonance sound coming from #6 area when I put my hose and listen right on the valve cover. Seems new to me... It's very subtle....Almost like if you took a microphone feedback and pitched it down a little and gave it rhythm like the lifter..
Strange....
But no tapping or ticking....Maybe more of a sewing machine symphony.... Not as quiet as I've heard it before but definitely nice enough.

I do think I'm going to try 1 more attempt at a hot running adjustment. Maybe I'll get lucky and the long startup taps will stay away.. Because I really felt like the engine liked where it was at before apart from that tapping......and I don't feel super confident I got zero lash right using the cold method...Not that I feel confident with either.....

There's a combination somewhere....

Hmmm...so no number 3.5? Replacing lifters and maybe cam ...sorry if it's obvious why not......

I think it'll be ok... I'm going to keep an eye on everything and of course read through everything and spending time with the added links and files.
Treasure for sure...

Do need to plan on getting the intake gaskets redone... could a miss at idle with more preload be noticeable with something like that..?,

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think proper valve adjustment can have a positive influence as in less tight = more vaccuum, which could make a slight leak less "slight" :)

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I saw that last night and am pretty certain this is where I'm at. Just don't understand why it was happening longer at times. It's a new thing...
I just pulled the truck around the block to back it in the driveway. I'm leaving for a couple of hours. It started with the 2 second taps ... Not liking the idle as much. Seems nervous...tiny missy feeling... Everything is really quiet...not tapping....sounds good.

There is a weird resonance sound coming from #6 area when I put my hose and listen right on the valve cover. Seems new to me... It's very subtle....Almost like if you took a microphone feedback and pitched it down a little and gave it rhythm like the lifter..
Strange....
But no tapping or ticking....Maybe more of a sewing machine symphony.... Not as quiet as I've heard it before but definitely nice enough.

I do think I'm going to try 1 more attempt at a hot running adjustment. Maybe I'll get lucky and the long startup taps will stay away.. Because I really felt like the engine liked where it was at before apart from that tapping......and I don't feel super confident I got zero lash right using the cold method...Not that I feel confident with either.....

There's a combination somewhere....

Good status report. One thing that you wrote recently that I wanted to comment on was
when you performed an adjustment on the valves and you found them all to be pretty much at a
1/2 turn, I thought that this was a turning point for a couple of reasons. First, it demonstrated to me
that you have acquired the necessary technique.

By the same token, if you perform a good running adjustment but some noise remains, then
this might cause you to incorrectly lose confidence in your adjustment. (!) As a matter of fact, *this*
is what motivated me add the info about the noise from the external wear and/or internal varnishing
information to this thread.

In English, we were hoping to use what the factory has in place to adjust all brand new parts to the midrange
of their travel. And when this technique fell short on used parts, for someone new to all this it makes sense that
it can cause you to doubt your adjustments.

So yeah, if it was me I would take my time, make one more running lash adjustment,
get everything as quiet as it can be. And then drive it. And then if it's not totally quiet,
then I would first identify all of the lifter assemblies that ARE quiet, and document that
carefully. And the remaining 1 or 2 lifters that are still noisy could be identified as the ones
that get pulled when the intake re-gasketing is accompished. And if they fail a visual
inspection, then take photos, put them right back in, put the intake back on, and head
straight to the aforementioned "Decision Time".

But if the noisy lifters pass the visual inspection, then go ahead with the disassembly / clean
/ reassembly / pump up / test / reinstall / reset lash ...and see if you now have the quietest
valvetrain of any SBC of similar vintage and accumulated mileage? To me, this is the very
definition of a Measured Response. (!)

Hmmm...so no number 3.5? Replacing lifters and maybe cam ...sorry if it's obvious why not......

OK, just new lifters is best explained by the first illustration in reply #93. (New lifters on old cam)
Because we are dealing with 200-300,000 PSI, the geometry where the lifter meets the cam lobe
is *critical*. Therefore, new lifters on an old cam lobe that just tore up the original lifter is the scariest,
most failure-prone
very failure prone.

EDIT:

1) Used, concave lifters on a new cam is the most failure prone of all.
2) Used lifters jumbled up so that they don't go back onto the same cam lobe they wore into is very failure prone.
3) New lifters on an old cam is the best of these NOT-recommended practices, for at least the lifter base is convex.
4) New, offshore 'white box' lifters are failure prone. Questions of poor machining, manufacturing debris inside lifter body, and improper heat treating.
5) Excessive spring pressure is failure prone. Lower pressure beehive springs that can handle the valvetrain is preferable to stiff double/triple conventional valve springs.
6) Many report that the new Delphi hardened base flat tappet lifters with a stock GM cam & stock spring rates gives you a better than average chance of success.
7) Comp Cams has a new DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coating that has survived extended Spintron abuse and may be a new solution: (DLC and Dragzine)
--
8) Upgrade to LS7 roller lifter and compatible roller cam if block was cast/machined for the roller cam option.

And whenever you hear about a new cam & lifters going into an engine and actually working,
this is due to the new parts being installed as an upgrade, so the old (stock) cam was in perfect
condition when retired, so there wasn't any hardened metallic debris inside the engine, and all is good.

On the other hand, when a cam & lifters fail inside an engine, and the scope of the repair is only to replace
the cam & lifters, then all the debris left inside from the failed cam causes the cam bearings, main bearings,
and rod bearings to wear to the point where the oil pressure starts to drop off, and a death
spiral ensues. There are countless examples of this happening, and lots of tears shed over the
initial failure, compounded by the following repair attempt failing yet again.

This is something that only a misled owner (who really wants a long term fix) or a person who's
planning on getting rid of the vehicle immediately afterwards would consider doing. (ie: Unethical flipper)
Note: I've been asked in the past to put the quick fix on a noisy motor like this, and I've always refused
the invitation to get involved. It ain't right.

I think it'll be ok... I'm going to keep an eye on everything and of course read through everything and spending time with the added links and files.

This has been a good conversation. 99% of the time a SBC cam discussion is focused
on just how much bigger or badder a bumpstick can be installed. But here we are discussing
at length how to adjust a cam for best valve seating, quietest operation, and longest
service life.

I'll keep digging. More later.

PS: You know, we've been talking about counting threads. And if they are the HD screw-in
studs, then their installed length is a given. But on a lot of stock small blocks, the rocker arm
studs are simply pressed into the cylinder head. And sometimes they will start to pull out
but still be working. (See attached for the clearest picture I could find on the internet showing
a pulled rocker arm stud.)

In English, it would be a good idea to place a long ruler or straightedge across the rocker arm
studs in order to make sure that they are all at the same installed height. Based upon your
photos I don't think that you have this problem, but it only takes a second to verify and then
we have that much more confidence in our cross-check.

And if I have to choose between matching thread counts or quieter, smoother running? I
prefer the latter in all cases. Let the engine tell you what it wants with the running adjustment,
and then we'll figure out what the details mean after the fact.

Attachments

• straightedge checking for pulled rocker arm studs - 289 windsor rocker bolt loose.jpg
    straightedge checking for pulled rocker arm studs - 289 windsor rocker bolt loose.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get everything as quiet as it can be.
Are my hands not tied to finding zero lash and a set preload choice? You are not saying to give every one it's own preload right? Just pick a preload (say 3/8 turn for example) and apply to all of them if that seems to be the best balance of noise vs the way the engine feels?
I have been successful revisiting a noisier one and redoing it with the same preload indicating maybe my touch was a little better the second time or the lifter behaved differently then? Is this what you mean.?
On the other hand, when a cam & lifters fail inside an engine,
So they 99% of the time go together? No chance a lifter could be goofy and the cam still be ok? It wasn't immediately clear when reading about replacing the lifters apart from the rarity of finding them. This leaves the door open to a new cam and lifters? I'll read through everything again. It's very important to get that understanding correct.

Just finished passenger side running adjustment. Put them to 1/4 and got a little tapping for 10 seconds at startup... A couple are noisy but not like you can hear them standing over the engine... I have a 3ft piece of hose I put on the cover hole and can hear the difference between slight tick and just operation.... Some are sweet....
May do an 1/8 or 3/16 turn... They really did sound pretty amazing at 3/4 turn but the engine sure didn't feel like it appreciated that setting....

I still feel a slight ghost miss here and there with 1/4.... Wonder if I'm chasing my tail because I have an intake gasket leak causing the performance issue and 3/4 quiet running is actually where I need to be. I may just grab the gaskets and go for it under the guise of the weekend even though I'm self employed and there is no such thing as weekend in recent memory..

In English, it would be a good idea to place a long ruler or straightedge across the rocker arm
studs in order to make sure that they are all at the same installed height.
Looks good here.... Thought I was going to have to cut down my only 2ft level but found a straight piece of stock. I mean the studs sit lower than the rockers obviously so who knows but, they look exact...
That point on the rockers the same across? seems you could just take a measurement from there down to the top of the nut to get a consistent preload/thread count if that were the case..

Weird oil still haunts me.... I think I'm going to grab some gaskets and see if I can get some right stuff in a reasonable time... I'm in this deep...
I know everything can be quiet. 3/4 turn is pretty much there so I know quiet is possible.......Just don't like the feel at all........idk...

oh yeah, my coolant overflow stays at about 3/16 below hot.... I can't remember if I was loose with my initial observation or if it has in fact gone down from the hot line when hot. But if it has gone down, could that be from final burping that I didn't catch?..I've marked it....

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got everything at 1/4 turn past what I thought was zero... Very close to where it should have been. Pretty neat just knowing when it will start clacking...and the thrill of when it doesn't so you can have hope you're making things even better..lol

Wish I knew how to make these things behave.... Like number 2 intake was a little ticky...redid my adjustment and it quieted down...

tried the same thing with number 6 exhaust and it doesn't want to change it's tune but I know it can be quiet... I think it was even quiet the past time I start the truck..I mean, you can't hear it over the engine.... But you know it's not as smooth as the others....even bumped it a little tighter but no luck... I mean, I know I can't go an entire eighth turn more right?? I don't think it would matter anyway the way these things act.....

Going to tear it down tonight to get the intake gasket replaced....God willing of course...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread more or less. I agree with pulling the intake manifold, look at the lifters, and cam. You may have one or two collapsed lifters that take a little run time to pump up. You may have a cam with flattened lobes - who knows? You can pull the lifters (keep them in order!) and look at the wear. I can't remember where I posted this - it'll give you an idea what to look for. A flattened lobe will show a wider wear pattern than a good one...

The worn lobe (red arrow) has a widened wear pattern on the lift area and, when it gets bad enough, shiny top of the lobe. A good wear pattern (blue arrow) will show a narrower wear pattern on both.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hope fully, you only have a couple collapsed/weak lifters...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks...

That cam wear wouldn't happen to leave silvery looking streaks in your oil would it?

eesh...never done this before either....

Last edited:

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is (lots of smoking) her Home Grown while making the Pizza dough. I am getting second hand smoke. Oh, Oh, that explains these stupid posts I am relaying? ( coupled with my Home Brew) All Good

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That cam wear wouldn't happen to leave silvery looking streaks in your oil would it?
Yep, I found shiny stuff in the filter and replaced a couple lifters - one was collapsed and the other was worn down. A few miles later I found more stuff in my pan

Then, I spun a rod bearing due to the shiny stuff.

Here's where it came from

One good thing was, I got a new 383 4 bolt main short block out of it - my wife couldn't ***** (AKA female dog) since it wouldn't run anymore :rolleyes:
But, she did anyway:lol:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm definitely not planning on pulling the cam . This will be exploratory as best I can. I already know things are caked up pretty good. Am I going to run into lifters that will fight me taking them out? Is there a trick if so? I just watched one video but he pushed them down to where the cam usually sits....

Yikes... I don't see metal stuff like that anywhere yet... Just think there may be micro glitter.. Tough to tell but I see something every now and then that's making me think that's what it is....

So if I do get lifters out, can't just soak them in some mineral spirits or something and inspect? I'm second guessing if I should get into this now... But I can swing a reasonable amount of work.