1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Sounds like you have 2 different audible issues. I don't want you to wear yourself out
chasing the one that won't affect performance & reliability, and giving up before fixing
the one that you should/can find a fix for. (!)

1) The non-issue is the 'couple of taps' & quiet.

If you can't find absolute perfection in terms of a stray tap on startup, then if you are
going to err, then please err on the side that gives you the smoothest idle. Simply put,
the more consistently that the valves are closing (and getting rid of the heat that will
burn them if not shed) the smoother the idle. So if 3/4 of a turn preload still gives you
a smooth idle, then let's stay at this setting. And again, if the engine stop lottery puts
the loosest lifter on top of it's cam lobe every so often and you end up with a few taps
on start up, I'm perfectly OK with that.

2) The "good minute or so of tapping". THIS is worth digging a little deeper into your oiling
system using a common sense approach. Chevrolet came up with a way to literally bleed
off the issue and also improve the timing chain oiling. Literally pocket change to implement
IF the engine is already apart, on a stand, and awaiting assembly. A big job to retrofit when
the engine is all together, for those plugs are in the front of the block sitting behind the
camshaft's gear for the timing chain. Given where you are right now, the risk/reward to
retrofit those plugs with the drilled "air bubble bleeders" is not good.

On the other hand, if you were to approach the 'air bubble' problem from the other side
of the equation, then we might be able to fix this issue for a reasonable amount of money.

In English, the problem that Schurkey describes is the development of an air bubble in
the dead-ended drilled oil passage that feeds your lifters. Since the passage is currently
dead-ended, then the only way for the air to escape is for it to be pushed through one of
the lifters towards the end of the passage. (Since the oil is being pumped forward from
the back of the engine, the probability will be that it will be one of the lifters towards the
front of the engine that will tap while the air is being pushed through it.)

So what I propose is to instead focus on the 'Why is the air bubble developing' in the first place?

And in order for all of us to reason through how this air bubble could develop in the first place,
let's look at the SBC oiling system as shown in the Chevrolet Power Manual one more time:

You must be registered for see images attach

So when you start your engine, the crank turns the cam, the cam turns the distributor shaft,
and the distributor shaft turns the oil pump. Oil starts flowing up as the arrows indicate. From
the oil pump pickup, through the pump, then oil filter, and on to the (3) individual drilled oil passages
that run from back to front in the vicinity of the camshaft. And after having performed a running
preload, you gotta believe in the rest of the drawing above, from lifter through rocker arm
spit holes. :0)

OK then, so what happens once you shut the engine off and it comes to a stop? There's all this
oil way up high, all the way up to the spit holes in the rocker arms? Well, if gravity has it's way,
it's all going to flow backwards from where it came from, and end up back in the oil pan.

Now the only problem with the drawing above is that it's from the front of the engine, so there
is some important detail obscured. Good news, I found a similar drawing from the back, and
let's check it out:

The arrows show the oil flow when the pump is turning. For gravity, turn the arrows
backwards. Without a good anti-drainback valve in the oil filter, gravity will push the oil
back through the filter, to the pump, and back through the pickup in the pan.

So as this drainback is occurring, since nature abhors a vacuum, then air is drawn into those
drilled oil passages. And there is your bubble.

The solution? I don't know what brand oil filter you used, but if we are going to avoid this
drainback from happening, you need to find out which brand has *the best* anti-drainback
valve in it, and use that. And you don't have to change the oil, just replace/upgrade the
oil filter see if the problem goes away. (I'm hoping that someone can step in here and
identify which brand has the best anti-drainback filters these days?)

But wait, there's 1 more item I want you to consider. Given a choice between dirty oil
and NO oil, the engineers opted to put in a bypass around the oil filter. This way, once
there's more than ~12 psi or more of pressure drop across the filter, the bypass opens
and let's oil go from the oil pump directly to the oil passages. Guess what? IF this
bypass doesn't seat 100%, then here's a 2nd path where the oil can drain back to the
pan. (!)

Good news, this bypass is easy to get to, since it's located in the part that provides the
threads for the oil filter to spin onto:

To summarize, there are 2 different noises, identifiable by the duration of the noise.

1) A few ticks on startup & disappears? Not a problem per the FSM.

2) Ticking sound lasting around a minute? Working theory is an air bubble
developed in the oil passages feeding the lifters because oil is being allowed
to drain back into the pan. The long ticking is caused by the trapped air
bubble being forced through a good lifter. (Lifter as victim.)

Common-sense solution #1. Change oil filter to one with known-good anti-drainback valve.

IF solution #1 doesn't cure air bubble creation, Solution #2 is to inspect/clean/replace
as needed to cure a leaky bypass valve on oil filter adapter assembly. NOTE: Solution
shown for standard 2WD mount. Engine oil cooler or 90° filter mount for 4WD clearance
may be different. (!)

Remember that early '50s Chrysler training slide show about the hydraulic lifter and
how it needs a steady, air free oil supply in order to work quietly? Well, since you
cleaned up your lifters so that they are no longer sticky, we've fixed 95% of the
problem, and now you have 1 potential oil filter upgrade + 1 more bypass valve to
clean/replace and you should be good to go. (!)

And Congratulations, for you have now studied the small block Chevrolet V8 oil
delivery system more than 99.9% of the people driving one today. :0)

So, decide on a lifter preload, set it, and realize that this external adjustment
will not cure air in the delivery system. The clicking for a minute is an air bubble
that we should try to eliminate from being created with some attention down
in the vicinity of the oil filter.

Let us know what you discover. And @Schurkey, thanks for sharing the existence
of the plugs with the bleeders in them. I will take advantage of those from this
point forward...for I hate ticky lifters almost as much as scott2093 does. :)

Cheers --

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few more photos to help round out your understanding of the SBC
oiling system.

Big picture, this time from the side view:

NOTE: General layout, not exact. (Oil bypass is drawn as net effect, not actual. See previous reply for actual bypass adapter.)

Small Block Chevrolet 3 oil galley plugs in the front, situated behind the cam timing gear.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#1. Change oil filter to one with known-good anti-drainback valve.
Thank you!
Yes I have a Wix xp filter from when I changed the oil just before going in and cleaning lifters. Supposed to be a good one with adb...

Solution #2 is to inspect/clean/replace
as needed to cure a leaky bypass valve on oil filter adapter assembly. NOTE: Solution
shown for standard 2WD mount. Engine oil cooler or 90° filter mount for 4WD clearance
may be different. (!)
I'll look into it. Yes mine is a 4wd.

Lot of good stuff to study. Thank you.

Simply put,
the more consistently that the valves are closing (and getting rid of the heat that will
burn them if not shed) the smoother the idle.
Interesting about the heat. I've noticed that my temp gauge gets a little higher since the beginning of this journey after messing with lifters. It'll go up to around 210. Before it would get up to just over 200 before 190 thermostat would kick it. Thermostat still does it's thing, just one thing different I've noticed I believe.

One thing, my coolant overflow doesn't seem to be reacting since this last intake gasket replacement. My radiator cap gasket has seen better days so I'll replace it. Just weird that it's never happened before. Guessing this is something to take care of. The overflow won't change, but I'll open the cap and see coolant a splash low so I'll add. Maybe still burping?idk....

Just started up the truck and zero tapping after sitting overnight on flat surface. I just know that the idle feels like it has a slight more of a "random miss" feeling...just a different tighter feel if that makes sense so I'll take 1/4 off. Still pretty great as is. I just want to have the best setting to be around.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing, my coolant overflow doesn't seem to be reacting since this last intake gasket replacement. My radiator cap gasket has seen better days so I'll replace it. Just weird that it's never happened before. Guessing this is something to take care of. The overflow won't change, but I'll open the cap and see coolant a splash low so I'll add. Maybe still burping?idk....

I agree with replacing the cap. And it's easy to verify that the small coolant line between radiator
and overflow tank is in good condition. We don't want to lose either the coolant -or- the vacuum
which draws the coolant back into the engine as it cools. Hopefully the new cap will re-establish
the desirable 100% link between engine and overflow tank.

But at some point you should be able to go out to the truck, see no coolant usage at the overflow
tank, and then remove the radiator cap and see zero air there. A little engine oil usage is to be
expected, but ongoing coolant usage is an illegal condition and must be investigated/corrected.

Interesting about the heat. I've noticed that my temp gauge gets a little higher since the beginning of this journey after messing with lifters. It'll go up to around 210. Before it would get up to just over 200 before 190 thermostat would kick it. Thermostat still does it's thing, just one thing different I've noticed I believe.

Q: Is it actually running slightly hotter (possible MIA coolant) -or- has all the recent activity in the engine
bay cleaned up the connection(s) between the temp sending unit and your instrument cluster gauge?

Assuming the new thermostat gets the overflow tank operating properly, system burps, and no further
coolant usage, then a continued change in the temp gauge reading is best explained by this reply: (Concise circuit explanation)

Re: Wix filter. These are usually highly spoken of. Since the bypass valve is essentially in parallel
with this, it makes me think that you are going to have to take a closer look at that. (The one
photo I've of a lifter 'before' photo looked pretty dirty, so if that bypass valve isn't seating
100% then this could the root cause.

Looking forward to closure on the cooling system, and if you experience any more '1 minute' clacking,
please keep track of all the variables that led up to it. (Never on hot restart? Or always on cold start
after several hours have elapsed. Nose uphill. Nose downhill. Etc. And also keep the engine oil topped
off at the full mark. And documenting how many miles per quart your oil consumption is?)

We really want to understand all the variables associated with your lubrication system.

Keep fighting the good fight.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Refresh my memory...is this a rebuilt engine? Does it have vented oil gallery plugs at the front of the block?

GM started putting ventilated plugs in the SBC oil galleries; and other engine families have had one or more ventilated oil gallery plugs since Fido was a pup. Most guys say it's to "lube the cam chain" but the real reason was to quickly bleed air from the lifter oil gallery so the lifters don't clatter. The air blows out the vent instead of being pushed through the lifters.

Most soft plug kits don't supply the ventilated plugs. But they are available in various sizes.

data compiled from GM Service Operations Parts List for L31, L05, & LG4
GM PN 10110897 expansion cup plug, quantity (2), Oil Gallery, Front 0.57" OD x 0.25" depth w/ 0.025" hole in center.
** some parts refs incorrectly show or state it's threaded. It's not; it's an expansion plug with 0.025" air bleed hole in center. Two 10110897 plugs are used on Front face of block; one for each of the two camshaft oil galleries (R&L lifter banks; Not center gallery). A threaded type plug can be retrofitted; so long as it also has centered 0.025" hole).

*** I note these plugs are used in tandem with the OEM improved oil pump (M155) having a 3/4" OD pickup tube (instead of old M55 w/ 5/8" tube). Coincidence or requirement; can't say. Regardless, I'm a believer in those GM OE improvements.

**** I'm also a believer in running streetcar sbc/BBC Filters having an ADV.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2) Ticking sound lasting around a minute? Working theory is an air bubble
developed in the oil passages feeding the lifters because oil is being allowed
to drain back into the pan. The long ticking is caused by the trapped air
bubble being forced through a good lifter. (Lifter as victim.)
IF solution #1 doesn't cure air bubble creation, Solution #2 is to inspect/clean/replace
may be different. (!)
So I had a couple of episodes where the truck tapped for about a minute. Both times truck was already warm after driving around. Both times the truck was inclined front facing up. But it doesn't do it most of the time even when inclined up. But will get a random tap at startup here and there. Sometimes not...

My oil filter housing is angled. No cooler lines hooked up... Actually, cooler line ports are jammed against the oil pan? Is it backwards?lol

But I do see some oil from one of the bolts ... I'm pretty sure I would have attempted to clean the housing last year when I had the pan off but can't remember about gaskets.. Not ringing a bell. I'd have to look back at receipts..

Here's noise...oil pressure around 20 at idle...40 tooling around...sometimes higher at cold start...truck was warm...been sitting for about 30 minutes after driving...inclined front facing up...want to say it's #8..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

also attaching pic of my housing... Are there any recommendations for a replacement ?Oem is hen's teeth apparently... Not sure how to clean and test mine yet but, will dig....

Looking forward to closure on the cooling system,
New radiator cap seems to be working but my overflow tank is a bit overfilled. I need to get some out so I can really see what's going on. And my temp gauge on dash isn't accurate afaik. Watching the scanner today, I only saw it go up to 202 then down to 190.... Gauge would read 210.... I need to study that more...

My BLM seems low ...112...maybe 120 when getting some rpms....as low as 98 in idle... Was using a bluetooth deal so I need to verify what's going on...
O2 sensor lazy at idle....Aggravating...it's a nos about 6 months in use....
May get a replacement. I remember the part number being a little weird and it was years ago I bought it... Took me that long to work up the courage to cut it and really go after replacing it after so many failed attempts ..

Attachments

• IMG20240321175031_01.jpg
    IMG20240321175031_01.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
my temp gauge on dash isn't accurate afaik. Watching the scanner today, I only saw it go up to 202 then down to 190.... Gauge would read 210.... I need to study that more.
On this, the dash guage operates off a separate sender than the ecm. This is a TBI correct, i forget. IIRC, the dash guage reads the sender in drivers head, ecm reads CTS at front of intake. I'd expect a difference in the two readings given their placements and wouldn't stress over it.

Additionally, the dash guage doesn't have equal gradations. There was a thread on here a while back where the spacing and values were discussed.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had a couple of episodes where the truck tapped for about a minute. Both times truck was already warm after driving around. Both times the truck was inclined front facing up. But it doesn't do it most of the time even when inclined up. But will get a random tap at startup here and there. Sometimes not...

My oil filter housing is angled. No cooler lines hooked up... Actually, cooler line ports are jammed against the oil pan? Is it backwards?lol

But I do see some oil from one of the bolts ... I'm pretty sure I would have attempted to clean the housing last year when I had the pan off but can't remember about gaskets.. Not ringing a bell. I'd have to look back at receipts..

The leaking from the oil filter adapter bolts was common enough that GM actually
had a campaign on them, switching to bolts that featured a built-in rubber seal
on the underside of the bolt head. Here's what they looked like:

(Here's the thread where @Cayman96 gave the heads up that they are discontinued: Upgraded self-sealing adapter bolts

I think a suitable substitution would be a set of correct size bolts with integral-shoulder-washer heads
+ matching size copper crush washers similar to the ones used on oil pan drain plugs.

also attaching pic of my housing... Are there any recommendations for a replacement ?Oem is hen's teeth apparently... Not sure how to clean and test mine yet but, will dig....

I looked around a bit, and I think I found the correct part / part # at GMPartsGiant.com:

Although discontinued, having this part number may prove helpful while searching for one of these sitting
in a dusty box somewhere. They had a dozen different photos of this part in the listing, so for the curious
here's a link FWIW: (GMPartsGiant OEM 4WD oil filter adapter)

Here's a photo showing the implementation of the Oil Bypass Valve on this adapter:

Obviously due to the tight confines, the normal adapter that can be serviced separately
couldn't be used. In other words, if this one-way valve is no longer sealing 100% while
the engine is off then the only 2 choices you have are to either attempt to clean this
the same way you cleaned your lifters, or replace the entire unit? (Again, assuming that
the oil anti-drainback valve in your current oil filter is working 100%)

By the way, all the photos of your engine bay show how clean it is. Nice.

New radiator cap seems to be working but my overflow tank is a bit overfilled. I need to get some out so I can really see what's going on. And my temp gauge on dash isn't accurate afaik. Watching the scanner today, I only saw it go up to 202 then down to 190.... Gauge would read 210.... I need to study that more...

Accuracy costs money. (See attached) In general I like the look of the factory temp gauge, but even new
they were always a cost-constrained 'ballpark accuracy' indicator at best. On the other hand, the coolant
temp sensor for the computer is designed for much higher accuracy, so assuming that your
ECT hasn't drifted then I'd trust the scanner vs the temp gauge in the instrument panel.

NOTE: There are those on this forum who have gone to the time & trouble to accuratize their dash gauge
to what the scanner is getting from the ECT. This is done by removing and repositioning the needle on the
shaft. Not necessary but pretty neat. They've got me so that every time I see a plastic fork I start
thinking about what it would look like being used behind the temp needle pointer. :0)

My BLM seems low ...112...maybe 120 when getting some rpms....as low as 98 in idle... Was using a bluetooth deal so I need to verify what's going on...
O2 sensor lazy at idle....Aggravating...it's a nos about 6 months in use....
May get a replacement. I remember the part number being a little weird and it was years ago I bought it... Took me that long to work up the courage to cut it and really go after replacing it after so many failed attempts ..

Was your '93 still using a 1-wire (unheated) O2 sensor? If so, folks have documented that their
system would fall out of Closed Loop while idling at a long light, but would be back into Closed Loop
"halfway across the intersection". Sounds like your O2 sensor is still plenty healthy. NOTE: There are
others who upgraded their O2 sensor to a later heated sensor 'while they were in there to replace the original',
and although not that hard, but I don't know if the ROI is there to justify the mod if your existing O2 sensor
is newish and working as designed?

So, listening to the engine in the video it sounds like it is still idling/running smoothly? I think it must be one of the
better running TBI-powered Yukons in the state of Florida? :0)

Attachments

• Auto Meter 2432 Traditional Chrome Mechanical Water Temp Gauge120-240F.jpg
    Auto Meter 2432 Traditional Chrome Mechanical Water Temp Gauge120-240F.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obviously due to the tight confines, the normal adapter that can be serviced separately
couldn't be used.
It almost looks like there would be enough clearance to the front driveshaft to run the newer adapters but idk...
In this thread there's even talk of using different vintage adapters, maybe more available, along with even using the melling...although a 95, it shows the same part number from gm parts giant....
confusing..

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was your '93 still using a 1-wire (unheated) O2 sensor? If so, folks have documented that their
system would fall out of Closed Loop while idling at a long light, but would be back into Closed Loop
"halfway across the intersection". Sounds like your O2 sensor is still plenty healthy. NOTE: There are
others who upgraded their O2 sensor to a later heated sensor 'while they were in there to replace the original',
and although not that hard, but I don't know if the ROI is there to justify the mod if your existing O2 sensor
is newish and working as designed?
Idk...Mine seems to just want to be useless at idle...It'll be in closed loop and I won't get any cross counts... I think maybe after driving it around and then idling at a stop, it may give some but it's not very reassuring..

I can't find the info on what I put in there from my history but, I'm hoping it was the correct AC Delco...

Confusing ...if I put just a 93 Yukon in the search, I get a hit.. GM 19211437/ AC Delco AFS21

but if I enter my vin...It shows not compatible even though it's the same vehicle.... There are zero leads when "find parts that fit" is tried...

GM Parts giant says no go for my truck too...with no options for finding the one that works...

btw...I'll be pulling my oil filter adapter tomorrow and trying to clean it and see if I can figure out if the bypass valve or whatever it is works. God Willing of course....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 21-32-39 Parts.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 21-32-39 Parts.png
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 21-29-59 GM Genuine Parts Oxygen Sensor 19211437 GM Parts.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 21-29-59 GM Genuine Parts Oxygen Sensor 19211437 GM Parts.png
    1 MB · Views: 5