1993-Sierra-Z71's Slow Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
So last night i was gunna take the choke collar off the TB on the truck, And the Throttle cable where the cruise is on the drivers side clears just fine. But theres a bracket on the passenger side that hits the bottom of the cleaner housing, And i dont got a Hynes Manual so i dont know what it is. It has an electrical connection and box or what not, and i was wondering if i can move it down the bracket more so i can trim the top off to clean. Cant Hurt would it?

Pic of said object?

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Pic of said object?

nvm, Chris said it was the Map sensor. Gunna go out in a few and either trim the bracket or relocate the sensor onto the firewall or something, Gunna Take pics along the way. Next step after this will be grinding down the ridges on the TB. Gunna pull a spare TB from the wreck yard to do it on that in case i mess up.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Well i had to get new rear brake lines since someone decided to pull out infront of the truck and my dad slammed the brakes and blew the line. so i got a new line going back there now, i will be posting a video of that later on for you guys.

And i made a big discovery yesterday when i was making the video, My front driver side cab mount is more than shot from the Wisconsin Cancer.

You must be registered for see images

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Since 2 of my Body/Cab Mounts are shot, I'm thinking about Replacing all of the mounting brackets and getting all new bushings (OEM Style or i may Splurge on some GMT800 Bushings). Then when i got the bed off the truck i can :weld: the crack in my frame up and :weld: in boxing plates on both frame rails. And might as well coat the rear half of the frame in POR-15 and when the cab is lifted up, Coat that chunk of the frame with POR-15 as well as the underside of the bed and cab. Ideas/Thoughts?

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol. The Wisconsin Cancer.... I distinctly remember a friend of mine, when he was new to WI and came from South Carolina, he said "Why do you guys let your trucks rust out so bad?" Drive at least TWO winters in WI and you'll know why. Unless you really love your truck (and can afford it), they rust until they die or until you can get a new(er) one.

I would tell you to weld some flat steel (~1/4") to the cab mount for support but I now see where your mounts actually failed... the mount on the frame broke through. Everyone I know whose had cab mount troubles had their cab break through. I'm not promising anything, but I'll try to get some pictures of what my buddy's grandpa did to his cab mounts while the truck sat in his shed. He'll never have to worry bout the getting "the cancer" on his cab mounts for as long as the rest of the truck lasts.

If you get the time to POR-15 the frame and the underbody, do it!! But do it right. (prep, prep, prep) I have yet to find a solid weekend to do this to my truck but when I do, I'm going to do it. Its a simple must for anyone who drives a vehicle in winter in Wisconsin (especially a truck).

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
lol. The Wisconsin Cancer.... I distinctly remember a friend of mine, when he was new to WI and came from South Carolina, he said "Why do you guys let your trucks rust out so bad?" Drive at least TWO winters in WI and you'll know why. Unless you really love your truck (and can afford it), they rust until they die or until you can get a new(er) one.

I would tell you to weld some flat steel (~1/4") to the cab mount for support but I now see where your mounts actually failed... the mount on the frame broke through. Everyone I know whose had cab mount troubles had their cab break through. I'm not promising anything, but I'll try to get some pictures of what my buddy's grandpa did to his cab mounts while the truck sat in his shed. He'll never have to worry bout the getting "the cancer" on his cab mounts for as long as the rest of the truck lasts.

If you get the time to POR-15 the frame and the underbody, do it!! But do it right. (prep, prep, prep) I have yet to find a solid weekend to do this to my truck but when I do, I'm going to do it. Its a simple must for anyone who drives a vehicle in winter in Wisconsin (especially a truck).

yeah. lotta damn prep involved.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly did my tahoes frame to protect it from the NY winters and i just wire wheel the crap out of the frame and well painted it one warm weekend in early march. Its amazing and super great.

Preping really is just degreasing and knocking ALL of the loose rust off. It comes highly recommended. then all of the stuff i couldnt reach i just sprayed it, also works pretty damn well

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Honestly did my tahoes frame to protect it from the NY winters and i just wire wheel the crap out of the frame and well painted it one warm weekend in early march. Its amazing and super great.

Preping really is just degreasing and knocking ALL of the loose rust off. It comes highly recommended. then all of the stuff i couldnt reach i just sprayed it, also works pretty damn well

I'll just get my trusty Orange dead blow hammer out and go to town on the frame haha.

Last edited:

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Well i've came up with a realistic list of what to fix on the '93 ( Stuff that broke, worn out, Ect.) to do first before any power adders, Flares, sony speakers ect. are put in. Here it is:

New front driver side cab mount.
new front bed mount on passenger side.
OEM or GMT800 Bushings?
New Tie Rods.
Weld crack in frame up, Box area in on both frame rails.
Re-Attach Front Driverside BumpStop.
Check/Change Fluid in T-Case and Front Diff.
Tune Up, Plugs, Wires, Cap&Rotor, T-stat, Maybe Sensors.
Figure out steering issue if it isnt the tie rods. (Power Steering Pump/Sterring Box?).
New pads and Rotors in front, Drum brake rebuild kit for rears and pads and drums.
New or Junkyard front driver side dash speaker.
Fix loose Shifter handle on Column ( Any idea???).
New Greaseable U-Joints on both driveshafts.
New Bulbs in HVAC Control (LED?).
Solder The Joint on the Wipers Circut board.
Fab up new spare tire holder for under the truck.
New Catalytic converter.
Fix Strobe light-like underhood light, (LED?).
New headlight housings, Bolt holes in current ones are stripped ( Crystal Clear Ones?).
Figure out front Pass. Side Turn Light issue ( why it only goes in upside down and why the bulb backing wont clear the core support the right way).
New Door Pins and Strikers.