1993-Sierra-Z71's Slow Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I wrote this Late last year.

My Grandpa and Grandma Bought this truck Brand New in 1993. It was one of the first Extended cab Trucks in our area. They put a fiberglass tonneu cover on it right away as well as a drop-in plastic bed liner. They also had Running boards installed. They drove it from Central Wisconsin to Dollywood, and to Tunica, Mississippi when they first had it. It otherwise stayed in Central Wisconsin for the next 20 years. During this time, My grandma has kept it up with regular cleaning of the inside and washing the outside. The interior has very little wear, the only spot that has visible wear is on the top of the door insides, where my grandpa always had his arm out the window. In 2005 or so the truck had alot of rust on it. My grandpa made the decision to have it all repaired. the front fenders, cab corners, rockers and the bedsides were all bad, typical Chevy rust. The person who did the repairs was a idiot, he was smart and put new front fenders on the truck, and also Cab Corners. as for the rockers and bedsides, all he did was put Bondo on top of the rust.. very dumb. Now, in 2012, the bedsides and rockers are completely shot, rusted through. the front fenders still look like new, but the cab corners weren't painted the best, cuz new rust is bubbling and peeling paint. Also the front Wheel wells are starting to get rust through, but its not major yet. I first drove the truck when i was 15 and had my temps and my grandpa let me drive it with him from his house in the tiny village they live in to my uncles farm, about 4 miles south of there. it took me awhile to get used to the throttle and the steering, but now im great at it. they gave us the truck for free in March of 2011 when they purchased a 2011 Silverado 4x4. Since they gave it to us, the rust on the truck has doubled in the spots they were supposedly "fixed". Also, ive taken off the sagging running boards after i hit a huge oak stump with them in the backyard and broke the mounts, and the tonneu cover stays off in the summer time and is only used during winter. When i took the running boards off i cranked the torsion bars about a inch for a little leveling out. I also took the super restrictive air resonator box off the intake and did the "lid flip" trick. earlier this year when i had the truck on the lift in my Auto class i noticed the Upper Ball Joint was shot on the drivers side. so i got a new one and replaced it at school in the huge auto shop. it took 2 and a half days to get it done, mainly due to the stubborn old ball joint and trying to remove the rivets. I had to take the whole upper control arm out to drive the rivets out. when i finally got them out and got the new one installed and the control arm back on i put it all back together and made a appointment to have it aligned. When it was getting aligned, they told me that the Pittman arm needed to be replaced. so i had them do it, and $300 bucks total later, it was out and about again. Recently, The radio stopped working. the stereo light was flashing on and off, which made me believe it was just a connection that's bad. I tore apart the dash at the control unit and by the cassette player and located the radio itself underneath the dash by the gas pedal. i un-did the plugs on the radio and plugged them back in and nothing.. and now the tape deck dosent work so im guessing its the wiring between the radio and cassette player because the radio's control units wiring goes into the cassette player and down to the radio box. There is some worn out parts on the front IFS suspension that im going to put on the To-Do list.

Ill throw up some pics in a bit for ya guys.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Here is how it was when I Got it.

You must be registered for see images attach

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Well i've came up with a realistic list of what to fix on the '93 ( Stuff that broke, worn out, Ect.) to do first before any power adders, Flares, sony speakers ect. are put in. Here it is:
New front driver side cab mount.
new front bed mount on passenger side.
OEM or GMT800 Bushings?
New Tie Rods.
Weld crack in frame up, Box area in on both frame rails.
Re-Attach Front Driverside BumpStop.
Check/Change Fluid in T-Case and Front Diff.
Tune Up, Plugs, Wires, Cap&Rotor, T-stat, Maybe Sensors.
Figure out steering issue if it isnt the tie rods. (Power Steering Pump/Sterring Box?).
New pads and Rotors in front, Drum brake rebuild kit for rears and pads and drums.
New or Junkyard front driver side dash speaker.
Fix loose Shifter handle on Column ( Any idea???).
New Greaseable U-Joints on both driveshafts.
New Bulbs in HVAC Control (LED?).
Solder The Joint on the Wipers Circut board.
Fab up new spare tire holder for under the truck.
New Catalytic converter.
Fix Strobe light-like underhood light, (LED?).
New headlight housings, Bolt holes in current ones are stripped ( Crystal Clear Ones?).
Figure out front Pass. Side Turn Light issue ( why it only goes in upside down and why the bulb backing wont clear the core support the right way).
New Door Pins and Strikers.
Gas Door Spring.
Mudflaps front and rear

Heres my Wish list, and ill be crossing thing off, adding stuff to it quite a bit.
Shampoo Carpet.
Sony Xplod 4x6 Speakers.
New or Make Front and Rear Bumpers.
More Power, ( Headers, Y-pipe, High Flow Cat, Salad bowl mod, Chip, ect.).
Paint wheel wells - Roll Bar & Chassis Paint.
Re-Paint Air cleaner, get sticker.
Re-paint Antenna Base, Wiper Arms - Roll Bar & Chassis Paint.
New GMC 1500 Badges for side moldings.
Take front chrome trim off wheel wells.
Undercoat front half of frame.
Re-Paint Tow Hooks - Roll Bar & Chassis Paint.
Re-Paint hitch – Roll Bar & Chassis Paint.
Undercoat rear frame.
Undercoat Bottom side of cab, Bed.
4-Hi Headlights.
FSC and GMT400 Decals.
Put Decals on.
Black Grill.
Breather for Valve Cover – Bought 2/6/13 $ 9.48 W/ Tax @ O’Reilly’s
New Bielstein Shocks.
New Headlights/ Smoked LED Tails.
LED Parking Lights.
Wax Truck.
Brakes, Rear Drum Re-Build Kit.
Clean/Re-Build/ Ultimate TBI Mods on TB.
LED Tail Light Strip.
Flares.
Paint Valve covers Chevy Orange.
TBI Spacer, AutoZone has a Spectre Spacer for $59.99 and includes gaskets and hardware, 1 inch tall and aluminum. Part # 11252, Must get before putting Breather in.
New Front Inner Wheel Wells.

Stuff I've Done Already:
New Drivers Side Upper Ball Joint.
New Fuel Tank.
All New Fuel Lines, Tank to TB, Both To And From.
New Fuel Filter.
Pioneer 2400UB Head unit.
Custom Cold Air Intake, (How-To:http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDGWsnU).
Thrush Welded SI/SO Muffler.
Front Drivers Side Shrader Valve.
Pittman And Idler Arm.
Drivers Seat Bolt That holds the back up.
Changed Trans Fluid and Filter.
Changed Rear End Fluid.
New Rear Brake Lines, ( Done 3/29/13).

Last edited:

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I put the truck to work right away, Hauling Dirt for the new front walkway, and and for it, as well as gravel. Truck did good. Also used it to haul Logs around my big backyard.

The dent in the running board was from hitting it on a stump in my backyard, no damage to the rockers thankfully.

Heres the things i did Summer 2012:

New Driverside upper Balljoint
Removed Running Boards and Cranked the Torsion Bars up an inch..
Replaced the rotten stock muffler for a Thrush Welded from O’Reilly’s
Patched Hole in Stock Catalytic Converter With Muffler Mud and a sheet of steel riveted over the hole.

Running boards off and Cranked Tbars a lil:

Balljoint:

New Muffler:

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
While in my auto class my senior year i found issues with the truck. Including a cracked frame, Leaky front diff seal on drivers side, bad body mount.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
I have alot of pics of the truck, but i have a few ill show ya guys.
Some weak flex lol:

Went leaf bogging when taking care of the leafs in my backyard:

Made a custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Filter, Air Tube off of another 400 in the junkyard, got rid of the pre heater vent, ect.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
Update – Oct. 2012 To January 2013:
Numerous fixes to the Catalytic converter, the aluminum rivets kept falling out, replaced with Steel rivets.
Installed Pioneer 2400-UB Head unit and radio delete pocket.
Made a Custom Cold Air Intake.
Had a big chunk of Bondo on rear passenger side bed fall off.
Fixed snapped bolt on drivers seat, back reclined even when latched in.
Truck turned 129K Miles.
Bought a Mr. Gasket Breather for $9.48 at O’Reillys’s.
Got a rough quote from a local body shop for rust repair, the rockers alone would be a few grand they guy said.

Fast forward to January, and i had to help a Powerjoke Numerous times on my road.

And the breather i got for the valve cover:

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
2/9/13:
Changed the oil, and when I was letting it drain, I decided to see what it would look like if I took the front chrome off, and I like it, imam wait until summer to take and leave them off.