1993 5.7 one cylinder no spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmcm

Reaction score
Good evening, chasing a gremlin that I can’t figure out. Felt a miss today and narrowed down to #2 is not getting spark from the distributor cap on the #2 wire. I swapped two wires from each other, changed the cap rotor and coil and still no luck on that #2 post. Any thoughts?

Jmcm

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, no not oem but I’m confused why faulting on only one cylinder all of a sudden

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a new one for me. I would test the parts. If there good quality name brands that's one thing. But if there some knock off Chinese that's another. I'm use to the vortec caps . I know the tbi is a different set up. Having spark on 7 cylinders makes me suspect something is crossing over or at that position something is blocking spark. Vortec caps are known for this but ours are sideways set up as to your top fed setup.

Jmcm

Reaction score
I used my timing gun and put it on the #2 plug wire ( one not firing)to test for spark . I also swapped the plug wire with another cylinder and still had the same problem on the #2 cylinder

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An inductive pickup functions on voltage build-up. A fouled plug doesn't allow voltage build-up, so the inductive pickup has nothing to trigger it.

I have no idea how a GM HEI pickup coil can cause no-spark to one cylinder. Ford or Chrysler...maybe. It would be extremely unlikely, but possible. GM? No.

Jmcm

Reaction score
Well back to the drawing board, was running as smooth as can be ran if around town for 30 minutes. Parked it for two hours went back out and now no spark at the same cylinder. I do know this cylinder has a bad oil ring ( plug was gummed up) refreshed with a new plug and still no spark. I’m clueless. Have been using my timing gun to verify spark. Even swapped the wire with a known good one just to verify

Jmcm

Reaction score
Well back to the drawing board, was running as smooth as can be ran if around town for 30 minutes. Parked it for two hours went back out and now no spark at the same cylinder. I do know this cylinder has a bad oil ring ( plug was gummed up) refreshed with a new plug and still no spark. I’m clueless. Have been using my timing gun to verify spark. Even swapped the wire with a known good one just to verify
This motor is tbi, does not have a hei distributor