1992 rear end swap HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500 single cab short bed 4.3 5 speed. So I'm sitting at a red light and put the truck in first to take off and it's acting like the part ng brake is on so I check just to make sure (it's not) I try again same thing so I see that I can back up so I do into a gas station where further examination makes me start to think it's my rear end get it towed to my house and get the diferincal cover off and have a look well looks like i have F***ed up my rear end I have found another one but I'm not sure if it's gonna effect anything to change it out because my understanding is that the one that is under it right now is a 3.08:1 and the one that I have found is a 3.73:1.

1-can it be done
2-what will it effect
3-whats the differences in the 3.08:1 and the 3.73:1
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Yes. Just make sure that it is from another 2wd.
2. and 3. Your rpm's will be higher in all gears at the same speed because a 3.08 is a higher ratio than 3.73. Your speedo will be off. The upside is that it will be easier for the truck to get moving. Downside is potentially worse fuel economy.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the 5 speed, I have a hunch you will find the truck more fun to drive with the 3.73 gear set. I've got that gear with my 5.7 and 45l60E, and the rpms at 60 mph are around 1900, as near as I can recall. I would think that the OD with your manual box will be close, so should be good.

Perhaps someone knows if the speedo is driven by the computer, and whether it can be re-calibrated to be accurate.