1992 k 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I recently bought a 1992 chevy k1500 4x4. Truck has new paint and a lot of new parts but I overlooked the rear section of frame which is in pretty rough shape. The good is I have a friend who is a mechanic and he is going to help me. It needs spring hangers and rear cross member and shock mounts, etc...

My question is I found a 2wd 2000 obs style frame that is in excellent shape. Does anyone know if this is the same frame with diff envy mounts? Or would it be a huge pita to swap over?

Also has anyone restored and or fixed a rusted/rotted frame? How much work did it entail?

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also does anyone know where to buy the rear crossmember that is right above spare tire mount?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pm Loudnlifted88 he did a rear frame swap on his 98 and replaced his tire crossmember on his 96.

Or maybe he will chime into this thread.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
2wd drive frames are different under the cab the 4wd frames are a inch thicker the cross members are the same but 2wd shock mounts and spring hangers are different

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loudandlifted any suggestions when replacing cross members and fixing rot in the rear of frame? The front is very solid so I don't want to go as far as to replace entire frame.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Cut and splice is an option.

Swapping under a whole good frame is a better idea.

Cutting your losses and getting out now before it becomes a huge money pit is an even better idea.

Rear crossmember is not a serviced part. You need to find one in a scrap yard somewhere that's in decent shape.

They are a super ****** to get out, even when rusty and falling apart. Reason being: the factory builds the frame around the front and rear crossmembers....they are never intended to be replaced or come out. It can be done, but it's a major PITA.

2wd and 4x4 are different frames all together from cab forward. A 2wd needs a 2wd frame and a 4x4 is the same deal; needs a 4x4 frame.

If your rear frame is rotted to the point where it is holed, you front portion is probably not far behind.

The front deteriorates slower than the rear because it's not int he vehicle's road spray as much, but it's still in the same environment. Most of the front frames I've seen go to pot rust from the inside out. IE: it's boxed so no one ever sees the inside rot until it breaks through.

Best bet from your description is to find a good frame and swap it or sell the truck and get a better one (sorry, I know that's not very positive news considering you just bought it).

Most everything is recoverable, but frame rotted out is a deal breaker. I've tried to save rotted frames before and you usually only delay the inevitable for 2-5 years tops.

If I ever buy a used truck again, I'll be headed far south (or to the dry west) to buy one and haul back up north....

Last edited:

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could be a silly question but...

Is there any company that sells replacement frames for these trucks?

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
This could be a silly question but...

Is there any company that sells replacement frames for these trucks?

no best to get one at a local yard i have replaced my frame from the ext cab windows back with a junkyard frame and never had a problem with it ill see if i can dig up the pictures of it