1992 Chevy Silverado C1500 25yr+ Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GShelton

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am Glenn and I am based out of North Central Florida. I have a 1992 Silverado C1500 Ext Cab that I purchased new. It was a conversion done by Tiara Motor Coach (I think that is correct) and sold by a local dealership.

Some time in the mid-late 90s, I pulled it off the road for a 2 week repaint project due to it having the GM rot paint and it flaking off. And again, that 2 weeks was about 25 years ago.

The project took a turn when I had come back from vacation a week after dropping it off at the body shop and they had not even started on it. I had a week to think about all the things I "should" have done to it before paint. Now I had my chance.

I had the body shop shave everything. I had a cowl inducted hood installed. I had a one off Sir Michael roll pan installed. (It was one they built for SEMA that year and never planned to produce.)

The paint was to be 7 different colors that were custom mixed for me by AkzoNobel. Once the 2 main colors were on the body, I decided I wanted to take it further and do the frame as well. So the cab and bed came off and the frame was striped and painted.

So this being a 25+ year long story, it could be LONGer. But the jist of it is that the body shop sold to new owners while I had the truck at the house and it never went back. I vowed that I would not cut corners on the rebuilding of it and it was taking time to pay for everything. I eventually ended up getting married and having kids, so the truck took a back seat for quite some time.

I originally decided I was going to put a 572BB in it. (This was after I had all the machine shop work done to the 5.7 that only had about 130K on it.) Time and finances decided later that I was not going to be able to make that happen. At least not if I want my kids to eat and go to college. LOL!

A later idea was hatched to find a donor truck with a 454 and swap it over. (This was long enough ago that it was not much of a thing back then. So I was cutting edge! LOL!) Recently, I acquired a 1998 C3500 with a 454 and 4L80E transmission. As well as a 1999 Suburban for the interior pieces. (Although I have not decided if I want to swap a later dash or stay with my mint condition 92 dash.)

So to bring us up to today, my 92 sits in the garage with a cover over it, most of it's parts in boxes, no interior, no motor/trans, and waiting for the progress to begin again. And that is what has brought me here to the forum.

So many things have changed since the start of my journey. So many good aftermarket parts companies gone and new ones created.

Here is a pic as she was when I bought her:

You must be registered for see images

(I realized recently that I had been working on her so long ago, that I have NO digital photos of her. Only scans!)

I will share some current photos of her once I pull her out of the corner and dust her off.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:welcome: