1992 7.4 Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EPA wants carbon based fuels gone.

The Germans tried to perfect a rotary valve for their Messerschmitt's during WWII. They couldn't get it to work but later it became the Wankel rotary engine. Yeah,that didn't work so well either.
The EPA has already been greatly limited by a few SCOTUS rulings. IOW...sit down the court said.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Opposed piston?

Take a look at youtube videos for the English Napier Deltic 88 liter Diesel two-stroke triangle engine as used in ships and locomotives. Two crankshafts rotate the same direction, the third rotates backwards. 18 cylinders, but 36 pistons--like three V-12s mating.

Example:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Napier later returned to turbo-compounding with its Nomad engine intended for aviation. It eschewed opposed pistons in favour of a more conventional layout of twelve opposed cylinders (pointing away from a single crankshaft) and with loop scavenging (as opposed to the uni-flow of the Deltic). Similar to the Deltic in that its turbo-compounding benefitted from advances in gas turbine development, it shared its fate in becoming a victim of their success. A case of what might have been had gas turbines not been so well suited to high elevation flight. Ditto the Rolls-Royce Crecy - another large capacity (but spark ignition) 2T that deployed its exhaust energy to good effect (direct thrust in high speed flight) and never quite saw the light of day.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was bored out of my gourd last night and did a search on high RPM diesel engines. Found an article about a Duramax that some guy built that makes like 2000hp at 7800 RPM. Now lets take that piston port 2 stroker,make it a V6 and only turn it 6000 and squirt soybean oil in it. Everybody wins!!!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felix Wankel patented and produced a rotary pump in the 1930s. Being an engineer he immediately realized it could be used as an engine, and in the 1950s he joined NSU and started work on it.

The long, moving combustion chamber is a detriment to efficiency, but a rotary engine in a stable rpm works great. I'm kinda surprised Mazda hasn't made a rotary hybrid vehicle. Back in the '80s the military commissioned Racing Beat to build a generator prototype, but I think that went away when they switched to a single fuel.

What does an exhaust valve have to do with it? The port serves the same function. Nobody says the Detroit Diesel turbos well because it doesn't have an exhaust valve. A more accurate statement would be that the long combustion chamber in a rotary causes more fuel to go unburned, and that a turbo recaptures that. You are correct that the ports mean more charge flow at points where a piston engine would be struggling to safely ramp a valve open or closed.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Felix Wankel patented and produced a rotary pump in the 1930s. Being an engineer he immediately realized it could be used as an engine, and in the 1950s he joined NSU and started work on it.
I stand corrected.
The long, moving combustion chamber is a detriment to efficiency, but a rotary engine in a stable rpm works great. I'm kinda surprised Mazda hasn't made a rotary hybrid vehicle. Back in the '80s the military commissioned Racing Beat to build a generator prototype, but I think that went away when they switched to a single fuel.
Audi talked about doing it - as a range extender - a throwback to its NSU connections perhaps but made no sense to me. The rotary is inherently thirsty for fuel and, Audi cited its smoothness as a reason to choose it but overlooked that when you are extracting the energy via wires (not mechanically) there is no torque reaction to contend with so engine mounts can be as soft as marshmallow and insulate the roughest of running engines. That was ten plus years ago and nothing more has been heard of it.
What does an exhaust valve have to do with it? The port serves the same function. Nobody says the Detroit Diesel turbos well because it doesn't have an exhaust valve.
An exhaust valve is a physical impediment to flow and absorbs heat. Without it, a turbo's turbine gets higher pressure and more heat - the latter less important on a diesel though.
A more accurate statement would be that the long combustion chamber in a rotary causes more fuel to go unburned, and that a turbo recaptures that.
Unburned fuel is unburned fuel is fuel wasted. Unless there's a supplementary source of ignition between the port and the turbo, that unburned fuel is lost.
You are correct that the ports mean more charge flow at points where a piston engine would be struggling to safely ramp a valve open or closed.
Fast opening ports (uncovered by a piston or a rotor) beat poppet valves hands down. And let everyone know by the noise they make!