1991 C1500 in Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good. You will prob still need a c notch.
Oh yeah, that's the plan. This is a temporary fix that made a huge difference.
Those pipes stop at the rear axle? Fumes and heat hitting it?
They actually dump about a foot or so in front of the rear end. Right next to the pinion yoke.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This morning I pulled the front bump stops again and cut them down to 3/4" tall. This gives almost 2" of space between them and the frame contact point.

Took the truck for a test drive afterwards, to run some errands and grab a cup of coffee from Wawa. What a massive difference in ride quality! It's really like night and day! It's also pretty loud, but tolerable. It could really use an alignment too. Gonna wait until I do the drop spindles and new springs, before that.

Here's a picture from the Wawa parking lot:
You must be registered for see images attach

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again folks for all the likes and compliments!

So, I got all of the parts in to fix the suspension issues a few weeks ago. On January 6 I started to work on removing the bed to do the C-notch, clearance the center bed support, replace the rear brake hose, and rebuild the rear brakes.

A couple weeks ago, I removed the tonneau cover, bed liner, and tailgate.

A few days later, I started on the bed lifting. Thought I could do it without removing the rear bumper then thought better of that. The bed was too close to it and I didn't want to damage the paint. That took me a little while to complete. After a couple of trial and error sessions, trying to lift it from the back, I determined that it would work out better from the side...

I was able to lift it high enough to place 4, 12" long 4X4s between the bed and frame. I used lag bolts through the mounting holes in the frame, to hold the 4X4s in place while I worked on it. Ratchet straps keep the bed in place on the 4X4s. I don't have anywhere safe to put the bed, so that's why I did this. There is plenty of room to do what I had to do...

After some careful measurements and CAD (cardboard aided drafting... per Vice Grip Garage), i started cutting the frame for the notches and my HF Bauer angle grinder crapped out on the 2nd cut. Just went to Home Depot and bought a decent DeWalt one. Once I tore into it with the new angle grinder, finishing out the left notch seemed to go pretty quickly...

This was where I called it a day (January 6)

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The next day I got to work on the truck some more and was able to get the right notch done pretty quickly and easily...

After a short break, I measured and clearanced the bed brace for the notches, rear differential, and future tail pipes. This took a little bit, but worked out great...

After replacing the rear brake hose and tearing down the left rear brake assembly (sorry, no pictures), I was beat and called it a day. We had some pretty bad storms the next couple days, so it took a few days to get back to it.

Last edited:

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fast forward to January 10th, and I got the left rear brake together and did the right side...

Adjusted both up, buttoned it up, and did some minor prep work for the next step in the rear brakes, removing the rear ABS gimmicks up at the mater cylinder. After that is done, I'll bleed the rears and get ready to put the bed, bed liner, rear bumper, and wheels back on it. Then, I can turn it around and start on the front suspension!

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I have an Autistic adult son, and this past weekend was his time here with me. So nothing got done on the truck. Hopefully tomorrow night I can get back on this project!

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you cut your notch with the leaf springs still attached at the shackle and hanger?
The underside of your truck looks pristine as compared to mine!!! Looks great.
Yes I did. The McGaughy's instructions said to just support the rear of the frame too. It may be hard to see in the photos, but a had a floor jack with a piece of 4X4 on it under the frame in the back.

Yeah, those pristine floors and undercarriage was one of the big reasons I bough this specific truck. I'm pretty sure it's been in Florida most, it not all of it's life! Definitely makes working on it much easier.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fast forward to January 10th, and I got the left rear brake together and did the right side...

Adjusted both up, buttoned it up, and did some minor prep work for the next step in the rear brakes, removing the rear ABS gimmicks up at the mater cylinder. After that is done, I'll bleed the rears and get ready to put the bed, bed liner, rear bumper, and wheels back on it. Then, I can turn it around and start on the front suspension!

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I have an Autistic adult son, and this past weekend was his time here with me. So nothing got done on the truck. Hopefully tomorrow night I can get back on this project!
Looking good. Trucks are fun but family comes first every time. :)