1989 Chevy k1500 5.7 TBI No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black92si

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
A brief background. I'm a Honda guy trying to fix my deceased father's chevy. Please bare with me it's like learning spanish.

I have a 89 Chevy k1500 5.7 TBI.

Went to storage the other day and the truck shut off on me while driving. Pulled off the road and after a couple attempts it started back up.
Got about 5-6 more miles and it shut off on me again and died. Has not started since.
Tested spark at plugs and coil no spark.

So far Replaced ICM. Ignition Coil. Cap and Rotor. Still not starting up.

When I turn the key on engine light blinks once at the beginning and stays solid.

Also when I turn the key on should I see fuel spray from the 2 injectors?
Ive been working on this solo most of the time and have forgot to check and see but im not sure if they do or don't when you turn the key.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
pull off the distributor cap and spin the truck over. make sure that the rotor is spinning. you distributor gear maybe worn down.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Also when I turn the key on should I see fuel spray from the 2 injectors?
Ive been working on this solo most of the time and have forgot to check and see but im not sure if they do or don't when you turn the key.

When the key is in the "ON" position no, when you're cranking, yes. Should be a nice cone shaped pattern.

black92si

Reaction score
When the key is in the "ON" position no, when you're cranking, yes. Should be a nice cone shaped pattern.

Ok i will reassemble the cap and check for that as soon as I get someone to help.

When i had help today I did crawl under it and hear the fuel pump prime when the key was turned to the "ON" position. So I can rule that out correct?

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
did your computer come unplugged? check your grounds

This^^^^ Also I know it sounds dumb but check all your fuses.

Other than that my mind jumps to the pickup coil under the rotor, or maybe the crankshaft position sensor??? Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

But start with the simple stuff first.

black92si

Reaction score
Where is the computer located?
I checked the ground from the battery to the block and it is still solid.
any other grounds to check?