1988 Silverado odometer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velocity502

Reaction score
So I bought a new gauge cluster for my truck and unfortunately the mileage on the new cluster is way higher than what the truck actually has. I'm wondering the best way to adjust the odometer so that it reads correctly

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perform the "wheels in the air, engine running in gear" from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".
The cogs wont go in reverse, so you gotta run it in forward. Oughtta take a few weeks, if you can keep it at 100mph 24/7.

In all seriousness, you might be able to start with a brand new one, at all zeros, disassemble it, and place the numbers to your liking.

Last edited:

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking up a few YouTube videos for you buddy.
I would assume your talk about it a mechanical unit
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Odometer adjustment is considered against federal law and fraud done fraudulently. But adjustments for proper mileage I am ok with

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I've heard, its only illegal in terms of resale. That's what your referring to, right?

It's only illegal if you get caught lol.

In all seriousness, though, no one is going to care about the mileage on a 30+ year old truck. Hell, the title might even say "mileage exempt" by now.