1988-1993 Series, front end longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

How long do the front end suspensions usually last in these 4x4 and 2x4 models? MY old C2500 had all original parts when I sold it at 255K, and it still drove just fine, aside from some slight correcting here and there. My K1500 has 130K on it, and because it's in such good shape, I'd like to look into perhaps rebuilding the front end. I just don't know if it's necessary at this point. The steering is fine, no noises, no wandering, etc. but it does have 130K on it. I know at 150K the original front end in my Town Car was toast, not sure if it's the same story here.

How long are these usually known to last before a rebuild is recommended?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
It all depends on the way it has been treated, no ifs, ands, or buts.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no no no, I completely disagree. If it isn't broken (and it's a wear item) replace it before it breaks, and it'll never let you down. :D

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Thats true, but what I meant is that if you don't have any play and no indicatons of wear, then don't replace them. Obviously they can break if they wear, but if yours are are still nice and tight then there is no need to worry about them right now.

If you do get to replacing stuff though, go MOOG or go home.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do get to replacing stuff though, go MOOG or go home.

this is 100% true, normally I'm OEM all the way for stock replacement parts except for felpro gaskets, moog steering/suspension and timken bearings

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
agreed, if anything jack it up and check things for play. Maybe even pick yourself up a manual, tells you the exact tolerances and such for free play, check all yours and if in spec, leave it be. if you got the extra cash buy it all new and have it laying around waiting on you if or when it ever does wear out.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with that myself, although I couldn't help buy wonder how much better the MOOGs are from the OE parts. Both have grease fittings, and both are well built, and will last 100K+ easily. Since they are priced the same, might as well go MOOG though.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mostly stock doesn't have grease fittings, and some aftermarket ones do not either.

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moog improves the OE design whenever possible with their Problem Solver parts too. If there's a flaw or weakness with an OE part, they fix it.