1980 gmc to 1990 possible SAS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Well guys. I've got a chance to buy a 1980 gmc rcss truck for right at a grand. I'm thinking I could use the front axle, tranfercase, rear springs, and shackle mounts from the truck to do a SAS on my '90 silverado. Kind of like 88gmcTruck did. I just wanted to get a solid opinion from you guys that have done this swap, will the '80 model parts be good for the swap? I'm an optimistic person and I see buying the truck, using what I need, and parting out the rest and making most/all of my money back. I know theirs millions of threads on SAS but I wanted opinions and whether i should hold out for a 78-79 ford Dana axle.

Kyle

Btw here's the truck incase anyone cares?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That truck isn't worth any more than its price in steel. You're gonna get $300 worth of half ton parts that you don't really need and have a $30 piece of metal in your yard that you paid $1000 for. I wouldn't get it.....especially for that price. If it was a 1-ton....maybe, but then you still have to worry about the t-case and VSS.

I would hold out for Ford stuff if I were you. You can get a 44 for cheap if you want to stay 1/2 ton.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Yeah I was lookin for a Dana 44 (or Dana 60 if I got a good deal)locally but haven't had any luck on a hp44 or hp60 and didn't mind doin the work for the transfer case swap and linkage but if it's not worth it then I'm just gonna pass. Thanks for the help guys.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would need a t-case from a 90 (I believe) blazer so it drops on the passenger side, but has the VSS. Then you would be getting that truck for just the axle when you could get it for $100 or less at a junk yard.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Just got through searching the phone book and net for junkyards and all of them either dont have a 44 or 60, or one place said they crushed one 2 days ago and it had a Dana 60 front end. Idk why they wouldnt save the axle??? Oh well. I did have a little luck, one place said check back in about a week bc they get them pretty regularly.. Hoping they get one for me. Craigslist has a hp44 but guy won't sell it without selling a motor and 7 37" tires with it for $3,000. :crazy:

And again guys thanks for the help. Thats why I come on here. I'd hate to have made the decision and been SOL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yea i paid 100.00 for a truck almost identical to it. just for the front outer knuckles, rotors etc. plus mine has a 400 small block in it that runs good. find a f250 and use both axles if youre not gonna beat on it or run huge tires (over 37 imo). ive been gathering parts since jan or so and im gonna be posting a thread on my sas soon. should be helpful to you if you check back. i just bought a 78 f150 with leafsprings a few days ago, im gonna swap on the outers and leave mine all 6 lug . ive got a few pictures i uploaded today on my profile page.

Last edited:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Well guys. I'm buying a Hp44 from a 79 ford for $150 Saturday, then I can start gathering parts and designing my brackets for the swap and hope to have everything completed and the axle rebuilt and ready to go In by late September or early October.

Reaction score
good deal. you find one with coil springs? i ask because if its 78-79 f150 with coils you might wanna steer clear. they are difficult to convert to coil spring, unless you retube them. $$$$ or very good fab skills. if im telling you something you alreay know, im sorry. if not check out this site. google mr n's dana 44 page, good stuff in there. tg