1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
:lol: thanks.

---------------------

So I wired up the stereo unit
You must be registered for see images attach

And added 2 fuse holders in the back of the compartment, hidden yet easily reached without taking anything apart. One is for the outlets, the second is for the radio.

Cutting the openings for the stereo, speakers and outlets in the cabinet.

Installed the stereo in the opening, speakers under the cabinets and 3 outlets.

Faceplate installed.

And with the Sirius radio plugged in, and the pocket with the phone charging in it.

I also tested out the water pump, unfortunately I need to get a new head for it cause it's leaking where i repaired a crack in it. Tomorrow I'm hopefully going to finish sealing everything. I've been kinda avoiding it as it's kinda boring, tedious work.... But it has to be done.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Yesterday I got the remaining windows sealed up, and one side trim piece on the roof. Today it started raining................. And now all the leaks in the roof are apparent. The worst is the center roof vent, as well as one of the waste tank roof vents. The rains shouldn't be lasting too long, so hopefully I can get the vents up top replaced and then coat the entire roof in sealant.

On the bright side, I did get the window screens re-installed, and my Sirius antenna ran up to the roof.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
A little update on the trailer stuff. Everything on the sides of the trailer are now sealed! I also re-installed the fender trim.

I also got a few small things done. The speaker grills were installed, and give it that nice finished look. I also have the fridge running on propane again, this time for a extended period to see how well it will work and to see if i'll be able to trust it to hold food or not. I also went through the heating system and tested it out, to find that it works great. I also installed the new waterpump housing (i accidentally cracked a fitting before) and tested it out. No leaks, and boy is this new pump quiet, and much stronger than the original pump.

Now all that is left is the roof and associated vents, which will be tackled tomorrow.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well, I've been working on the roof, all the vents were replaced with new and re-sealed. Today I need to pressure wash the roof so I can coat all the seams.

Here is a shot of what the roof vents looked like. Bleh what a mess.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I've been lacking in the update department a wee bit, but here is what has been going on. The roof was scraped, new plumbing and fridge vents installed and sealed. Then I pressure washed the roof, let it dry, then coated all the seams and vents in elasticized roof coating. So, the leaks should be completely gone now. The heater was tested and works great, and I let the fridge run (actually used it for beer over the weekend) and found it cool really well, so well in fact one morning it was only 21 inside it and -5 int he freezer.... yeah, I turned the temp up a bit. I also got the fender trim re-installed and cleaned the trailer inside and out. I also adjusted the spacing of the hooks in the top for the redneck awning.

I did happen to tow the trailer Saturday with the new gears. Oh man, it's so much better. It's a night and day difference, and thankfully I can actually deal with headwinds now. So, with that, updates are going to come less and less. Hopefully I'll get a bit of use out of it now. Next up on the list is painting the frame/tongue, and finding the little white inserts for the doors/windows to finish things off there.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
start using it man, awesome project i hope to some day have the time and money to do something like this. also is the fridge running on propane when you are getting these temps? because i can crank mine all weekend and it never gets really cold. i'm not sure of exact temps but it's cold enough to keep things safe for eating, but the beer in my cooler is better than the stuff in my fridge.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's when it's running on propane. My electric element is actually bad, so it's all I have. Typically they run better on propane than electric from what I've seen. If yours isn't cooling that well, make sure that the back of the fridge has sufficient airflow past the cooling unit, as that is how they exchange heat.